Sandy and Laszlo
|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
|Sandy and Laszlo|
202-; day 2 after Gordon's arrival (Laszlo)
|Function(s) / Belongings|
|Rank / Occupation||
|Chronological and political information|
John Patrick Lowrie (Sandy)
- "Dear God! Poor Laszlo! The finest mind of his generation, to come to such an end!"
While Sandy and his friend Laszlo were traveling from Lighthouse Point to the Vortigaunt Camp to get some Bugbait, they were attacked by Antlions, leaving Laszlo severely wounded. Some time later, Gordon Freeman arrives on the scene, only to see Antlions attack Laszlo a second time, killing him. Gordon then proceeds to help Sandy in defeating the remaining Antlions. Subsequently, Sandy tells Gordon to stay off the sand, as it is walking on it that attracts the Antlions. He then tells Gordon that there is no point for him to continue to the Vortigaunt Camp now that Laszlo is dead. He then acknowledges Gordon's effort to help, and that he will stay with Laszlo for a while, because there is "something [he] has to do" (though if one waits or comes back to the spot after leaving, it appears that Sandy never actually does anything, or disappears entirely). He finally tells Gordon he hopes he has better luck than them. Gordon then leaves and continues his journey to the Vortigaunt Camp. During the brief encounter, Sandy never elaborates as to why he considers Laszlo to be "the finest mind of his generation".
Behind the scenes
- Sandy's name appears in the Half-Life 2 sound file names related to him, the Half-Life 2 subtitles file, the Half-Life 2 Prima Guide, and Marc Laidlaw's blog.
- Sandy's model name in the map hints he was originally to be named "Stanley".
- According to Marc Laidlaw, the scene with Laszlo and Sandy was created to tell the player to stay off the sand, and keep to the rocks to avoid being swarmed. It went through many iterations before the final version: At first, it simply consisted of a Rebel standing on the rocks, telling the player "Stay off the sand or the Antlions'll hear you!". The next version, slightly more elaborate, added a dead body on the sand, and had the surviving Rebel saying: "Poor Tobias, he forgot the Antlions could hear him if he stepped on the sand." (Laszlo's model animations still bear the name "Tobias"). The team continued to iterate, eventually leading to a scene where Laszlo was still alive, but would still inevitably die. This also showcases that while Laszlo's death is not important to the player, it is to Sandy; other NPCs do not necessarily share Gordon's goals, and care about other things than that of Gordon's journey and the death of the final boss.
- If the player does not help Sandy when the Antlions attack again to kill Laszlo, he will die and never make his speech.
- Right before going out of the small path, a trigger named "lr_killtobias" (instead of "killstanley") makes Sandy disappear. There is no hint about whether he was killed by Antlions, shot himself or left offscreen.
- "Sandy" may be a play on the term "sandy", related to the chapter title, "Sand Traps", and the importance of the sand during it.
- Laszlo will still die even if the player is quick enough to dispatch all the Antlions Laszlo startled. As his death is scripted, Laszlo will suddenly jerk and fall over dead as if hit.
List of appearances
- "The Hypermodern Muse" on Marc Laidlaw's official blog