Talk:Future of the Half-Life series
|This is the talk page for Future of the Half-Life series.|
This page is reserved for discussion about the article itself, not for discussions about the subject, which belongs to the Forums.
- 1 Half-Life 3
- 2 Adrian Shepard
- 3 Old enemies
- 4 No edit
- 5 Alyx's Knowledge of Eli's Wishes
- 6 Borealis picture
- 7 TBA
- 8 New deaf character
- 9 Links
- 10 Alien Swarm, an ARG for Episode 3???
- 11 Question
- 12 Missing ref
- 13 Valve finished with sigleplayer games?
- 14 "Mike D"?
- 15 oh my god
- 16 Please, add this text to 2011:
- 17 Would this image be worthy to put on the page?
- 18 Gabe Newell's Penny Arcade interview
- 19 Protection
- 20 J. J. Abrams and Gabe Newell
- 21 Valentine's Day
- 22 Newest Supposed Release Date
- 23 2013 Motion Capture Problems
- 24 Gabe Newell promises an AMA on Reddit
- 25 Half Life 2 Episode 3 Mappack???
Firstly, that scan is clearly an ancient article from PC Gamer UK. Secondly, Valve themselves have said they consider the Half-Life Episodes to be Half-Life 3 divided into three episodes. This page is pointless. --MattyDienhoff 07:42, 5 November 2007 (UTC)
- Wow, agreed, I wonder what loser made this. He didn't even bother to use proper grammar.
- Half-Life 3 is the 3 HL2 episodes. If a sequel comes after Ep3, it won't be called HL3. Klow 18:57, 14 December 2008 (UTC)
I dont want to change this article without being certain that other people agree with me, but I was under the impression that valve had stated they had no intent to bring Shepard back during the episodes, although did want his return, and so he should be discluded from this article? Discuss.Dylan Bobson 20:57, 18 October 2008 (UTC)
- I really don't know one way or the other, but I'll remove the "Valve has stated they are interested" line pending a citation. --MattyDienhoff 04:38, 19 October 2008 (UTC)
Um, saying that the return of HL enemies due to the extiction of many of earths' species seems like a poorly constructed argument. The enemies from HL are almost exclusively of xeniological origin, and so surely shouldn't be included in "earths' animals". In adsition to this, we know that in the past the portal storms have caused xen to overflow its' population to earth, so considering the relatively short period of storms during HL2:ep2 there seems a massive likelyhood of more creatures returning to earth. Possibly the portals were even open long enough to justify the return of, dare I say, race X?
- Oh god, if I have to fight Voltigores in Ep3, I'm going to burn something. Smelltheashes 00:04, September 4, 2011 (UTC)
Who turned off the edits? Also who deleted some other enemy info, that stuff is true you know. If I found out who did it, I report them. Mega Sean 45 00:18, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
- If you look through the history, you will see it was Klow. He protected it because of the constant string of fanon and bad speculation that people kept putting in here. I'm not saying your info was any of that but that's why it was protected.--YabbaMyIcing 21:06, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
Alyx's Knowledge of Eli's Wishes
The article seems to imply that Alyx wants to uphold her father's wishes regarding the technology on the Borealis. If I remember correctly, Alyx does not know that Eli wants the technology destroyed and the only people to know Eli's wish are Gordon (who obviously won't tell her) and Kleiner (who wants the technology preserved).
When the four (Alyx, Gordon, Kleiner, Eli) discovered the Borealis, he said that the ship should never be used, before G-Man came to the room. Also, in the last scene, before the Advisor kills Eli, he says that you got to destroy it, whatever the cost. DAWeeE1 05:26, 23 March 2009 (UTC)
- Actually, I think the term you're supposed to use is Gordon CAN'T tell her. --188.8.131.52 00:39, May 28, 2010 (UTC)
The picture of the Borealis as seen from Episode Two would be pretty good to put in this article, I think. Can some admin upload it here?
Why can't you do it? HalfLifeveR 17:22, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
Because only admins can do it... DAWeeE1 17:37, 25 March 2009 (UTC
I am not an admin but I think I know how to do it, but maybe only admins can do it, I don't know. HalfLifeveR 17:39, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
In a way that don't break the rules, I suppose? DAWeeE1 17:44, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
Do you know it's illegal? HalfLifeveR 17:47, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
After the first TBA, I think that in parenthesis To Be Announced should be put in. But, only after the first one so that people who don't know what TBA stands for will know. Erickos 23:33, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
New deaf character
- Wow! And in the vid you even see the 12 Overwatch Soldiers concept art in a frame! I want it! Klow 09:51, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
Someone just added a section saying that the robot things in the ASCII art are a synth and a cut super soldier, linking to a fan-made edit with a lot of editing and speculation. I think the part about the sound clips is most likely real, though I have no idea where they came from. --184.108.40.206 21:05, March 3, 2010 (UTC)
- The first image was edited by a fan for speculation purposes, but is accurate and in the edit I made, I did say that they appeared to be these things, not that they were. The sound clip is from the radios from the new update. - Halo-343 21:21, March 3, 2010 (UTC)
- It's not fanon, and I'm well aware of the guidelines. And there is plenty of speculation on this wiki already, and we allow speculation when backed up by decent evidence. The image in question has the two concept art pieces to compare, as both they and the ASCII art are almost identical in shape. That's the reason why I added it to the page, as it made sense from a visual standpoint. If they are not Combine synths, then of course they will be removed. Please don't act like I'm idiotically trying to disrupt the wiki. - Halo-343 21:31, March 3, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, just keep in mind that the ARG regards portal, not HL; it's more likely to be something like a portal-gun weilding mech suit or maybe an Aperture Science Military Android. It is worth pointing out that it resembles a Super Soldier, but you stated it like it [i]was[/i] a Super Soldier. It's also a good idea to use the clean image we have here as a source, not a heavily edited one. --Fireman V2
Alien Swarm, an ARG for Episode 3???
Well, as you can see on the Steam Forums people are actually finding several Codes and Entities related to Half-Life 2: Episode 3. The Codes include a Freezing feature while outside, Ammo types which include the Uranium and Flechettes, a feature to break ice with the Gravity Gun, several Advisor scripts, Blood effects for the so called Blob Brain which include Frozen and Unfrozen blood. The Entities include the info_node_hints which you might know about already. But read all the above Codes i listed. P.S. All these codes weren't found in any single HL2 Game. It's fresh from the Alien Swarm SDK. All of this is in fact true, you can check out the last few pages of this thread:  — Unsigned comment by Sgt.Frank Woods
- Please sign your comments. That doesn't make Alien Swarm an ARG. They are currently developing Ep3, so that's normal this stuff is found in the code. Klow 08:50, September 13, 2010 (UTC)
Where Is the interview this article mentions, in which gabe said that episode 3 was still in development? That bit of info has been sitting there sourceless for a while now — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11
- The PC Gamer website isn't loading for me for some reason, but Googling "PC gamer valve week episode three" comes up with a few articles. Bramblepath 20:56, October 17, 2010 (UTC)
Edit is turned off. Missing source, Ref 6, bottom of page, Gabe points finger to Doug
Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/15/we-ask-gabe-newell-about-piracy-drm-and-episode-three/ Method320 02:10, March 14, 2011 (UTC)
- Add it using <ref> tag. SiPlus 12:23, March 14, 2011 (UTC)
Valve finished with sigleplayer games?
I saw news like that on Steam, but now I can't find link, so here it is, very similar: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20837 Does it mean Episode 3 will never be released? Xeoxer 15:58, June 12, 2011 (UTC)
Does the recent "Mike D" semi-hoax warrant mention in the article?OrangeParka 14:38, June 20, 2011 (UTC)
- Mike D is probably Mike Durand, Valve mod engineer. SiPlus 17:30, June 20, 2011 (UTC)
- No, I know who he is, but there was a recent hoax, where he supposedly said that Episode 3 was due by Christmas, and I was wondering if we should document that. OrangeParka 17:32, June 21, 2011 (UTC)
- How about a source? I never heard of that, I'd like to read smth about it. Klow 11:40, July 17, 2011 (UTC)
oh my god
when the hell r they going to release this game i am starting to get annoyed with the lack of info that they r releasing about this--Raggedcozy 15:06, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Please, add this text to 2011:
A Vietnamese beta tester has leaked Dota 2′s entire game client, as well as all of its files, to the Internet, and people have found some wondrous things: A folder called simply 'ep3' in the Dota client makes reference to a flamethrower, "ice gun", plus "liquid", "concrete" and "metal" "weaponizers". Maybe it is Half Life 2 Ep 3? Have a look for yourself:
- Add it by yourself. SiPlus 16:33, September 22, 2011 (UTC)
I registered five minutes ago, so I can't edit that page. Think before you write.
- Okay. Sign your comments please (~~~~). SiPlus 07:33, September 23, 2011 (UTC)
Would this image be worthy to put on the page?
This is a screenshot from the site "atramental-plateau.com" that claims some sort of half-life related product will be announced at E3 2012. GrandTheftFreak 23:17, 3 January 2012 (MSK)
- There's no point putting a bad quality image of something we already have from a site just because it's relevant to the page. Try to avoid uploading replica images. Also, please read the upload instructions (in the blue box) carefully next time. Bramblepath 23:21, 3 January 2012 (MSK)
- Definitely fake. SiPlus 00:19, 4 January 2012 (MSK)
Gabe Newell's Penny Arcade interview
Gabe made some comments about how Valve had avoided talking about HL3/HL2:E3 to avoid repeating the mistakes surrounding Half-Life 2's announcement, and how they wanted Valve products to be more complete before making any announcement about their release. Should that be added to this page? (Interview) -- 18.104.22.168 19:59, 10 March 2012 (UTC)
- Added. Thanks for the tip! Klow 11:44, 11 May 2012 (UTC)
Just wanted to add the new surfaced concept arts but it wouldn't let me. Why's that article protected nao? I find this quite saddening. ;__; --Shu'ulathoi 18:28, 27 June 2012 (UTC)
- Because it's often damaged by poor editors. Sorry about that, feel free to discuss here any info you think it's relevant to the article. I added everything about the new concept art now anyway. Klow 11:56, 2 July 2012 (UTC)
I think semi-protection is a much better idea... you shouldn't really lock down such an important article. Quite a bit of it is inaccurate, for instance most of the introduction reinforces the idea that "fan speculation suggests that Episode Three's development has ceased, in some form or another, at least two separate times", when in fact Gabe has confirmed that everybody who worked on it (and they were working on it as far back as Episode Two) has continued to work on it. Another result of the lock is that people who notice missing bits of information can't add it (I can see several lacunae), and that the Wiki is quite out of date on important recent events (like Source 2).
- I think I will try to explain what is happening the best I can, although I cannot just lift the protection of the article without consulting other admins first. First of all, the Source 2 stuff is not directly related to this wiki, it is general Valve stuff, and this article only relates to Half-Life, and at this point, Source 2 is not related to Half-Life/Portal. You state that this article should not be locked down due to importance, but mind you, importance is exactly one of the terms at which an article is fully protected, and while it is a shame that it has to be limited to a selected few, it is also a necessity. The stance where, that beforehen, simply everything that some people could have thought relating to the next Half-Life game where added, and that made scrounging up actual, backed up info, rather difficult. And, the fact that you do not sign your post, gives the impression that you have no user account, which does not increase credibility. Lastly, while the title Future of the Half-Life Series could deceive one into believing the future of Valve Corporation, it does actually relate only to a single game. Just one that is, sadly enough, clouded in mystery and self-contradictions from the developers. It does not deal with anything Source 2 related or anything. I try writing this representing the admins of this wiki, but that does not mean I am advocating the others opinions. I'm just stating the reason of the block. Hope this was a fulfilling explanation for you, and please respond, though I find it very dubious that this protection will be lifted anytime soon. Sincerely. --Fijure 21:30, 18 August 2012 (UTC)
I unprotected the article, but new users can't edit it. If the article gets flooded, I'll lock it again. I don't think fully protecting content pages is good idea, that's counterproductive. I also unprotected some other articles, such as help topics. SiPlus 13:50, 20 August 2012 (UTC)
J. J. Abrams and Gabe Newell
Article dated February 6, 2013:
Here is the full keynote speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7mihllgiro
Should probably add this stuff to the article. ThePerson5 01:12, 14 February 2013 (GMT)
- Yep, good idea. Klow 20:33, 16 February 2013 (GMT)
Newell explains the firing of some 25 employees, and reassures the world that everything Valve is doing is still being done. Half-Life 3 is not mentioned but implicit.
Newest Supposed Release Date
I don't believe it, but here it is:
It ought to be added for history purposes.
2013 Motion Capture Problems
Since it would probably be deleted as speculation, I'll bring it up here that if Lowrie's statement about motion capture being the problem is true, then it may well have something to do with Valve's comment years ago that they want to incorporate sign language and a deaf character into the story. That would certainly put the onus on good motion capture. — Unsigned comment by Flamehorse
Gabe Newell promises an AMA on Reddit
Assuming anyone is actually reading this, I think the article ought to mention what Gabe Newell said about 4 days ago on Reddit. If the Seattle Children's Hospital receives $500,000 or more in donations, Newell will do an Ask Me Anything on Reddit. AMAs on Reddit mean precisely that: absolutely anything goes, no holds barred. This is MAJOR news around the net right now. Here's the link. http://www.reddit.com/r/motorsports/comments/1v85hy/the_heart_of_racing_new_team_competing_in_uscc/ceqku50 — Unsigned comment by Flamehorse
- If the AMA actually happens and Gabe actually says something relevant to the future of the Half-Life series, the information will be sure to be added to the article. Until then, it's still just a possibility, and not one directly related to the Half-Life series at that. Marphy (talk) 08:02, 21 January 2014 (GMT)
Half Life 2 Episode 3 Mappack???
I had found a mappack long time ago. The problem is I forgot the link,
And there's what happens during it:
Alyx and Gordon go to Arctic (or whatever it is, I'm bulgarian)
Their heli crashes
They go inside some buildings
Later Gordon goes alone trough snow lakes (looked more like ravine but whatever)
After some walking a Advisor appears but Disappears when out of Gordon's vision (oh well)
After some more walking, Gordon Reaches the Borealis.
And then Gordon has to make his own way into the borealis
When he reaches the entrance door, he teleports along with the borealis at unknown location (and advisors appear from water) for 3-4 seconds
Then Gordon goes inside, making his own way finding Aperture Science door and going inside the Borealis core.
After few seconds after "right clicking with the gravity gun" and the core blows up (enough to open the door only)
Gordon has to make his own way to find Barney and Alyx
They escape and use another ship to get away
A storm (almost the same as Citadel Superportal storm) and smoke appears on the Borealis.
(Sadly the mappack has some missing textures, or to say - some purple-like shadows and things)
TheBloxxingBlocks (talk) 17:56, 12 December 2014 (GMT)
- It's only some fan-made stuff. 18 () 18:18, 12 December 2014 (GMT)