|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
- "Keeping you in one piece is proving to be quite a challenge."
- ― HECU Medic[src]
The HECU Medic is an HECU class formally introduced as an ally in Half-Life: Opposing Force. He is trained in first aid and emergency surgery and has the ability to heal wounded soldiers in the field.
- Much like the Black Mesa scientist, the player can use the Medic to be healed by standing in front of him and pressing the Use key. He will give 1 health point with his syringe when pressing the Use key once, and will recharge the player's health as long as the Use key is held or until the health is full, much like a Health Charger. While doing so, he will say sentences like "This might sting a bit" or "Keeping you in one piece is proving to be quite a challenge!". The Medic can also heal other squad members.
- During combat, other soldiers may call for a Medic and he will run to their aid if he can hear them. However, he will only heal them if he is not already following the player.
- The Medic carries limited supplies. If used repeatedly, he will no longer be able to heal the player or the rest of the squad.
- The Medic is equipped with a Desert Eagle and is best kept safely behind the front lines.
- The Opposing Force Medic is first introduced during the training chapter, Boot Camp, during the "Squad Training" exercise.
Behind the scenes
The Medic healing other soldiers who call him only if he has not been commanded to follow the player was added in case the player did not want the Medic using his valuable supplies on NPCs or to interrupt his alert combat mode. This feature was added after the manual had been written, and had to be addressed in the game's readme file instead.
The HECU marines sometimes call for a medic when injured in the original game, even though they are never seen in the game, or mentioned in the source code for the game. According to a blog post (from July 9, 1997) on Steve Bond and John Guthrie's personal website, the player could piss off the soldiers by killing their medic. It is unknown if they were implemented into the game. The medics are also mentioned in the instruction manual for the German version of the game.
List of appearances
- Half-Life (Mentioned only)
- Half-Life: Opposing Force (First appearance)
- Half-Life: Blue Shift (Mentioned only)
- Half-Life: Decay (Mentioned only)
- Half-Life: Day One (First mentioned)