List of Hazardous Environment Combat Unit models
This is a list of Hazardous Environment Combat Unit models used in Half-Life and its expansions. There are many variations of the Marines: some are generated character templates (hard-coded into the games), others are set by the level designers.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Behind the scenes
Human Sergeant model.
Half-Life Marines come in four types with two skin variations. They're armed with Submachine Guns or Shotguns, and may carry grenades or grenade launchers.
|SMG + FG||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|SMG + GL||N/A||Yes*||N/A||Yes|
|Shotgun + FG||N/A||Yes*||Yes||N/A|
- Character types
- Marine with Submachine Gun: any head type + generic torso
- Marine with Shotgun: Balaclava + Shotgun torso*
- Marine with SAW: Bandana (white or black) + SAW Gunner torso*
- Squad leader: Beret + any torso type + any weapon type
- Medic, 9mm Pistol or Desert Eagle
- Engineer, always armed with Desert Eagle
- Weapon combinations
- SMG + Fragmentation Grenades
- SMG + Grenade Launcher
- Shotgun + Fragmentation Grenades
Behind the scenes
- The original beret model resembles actor Clint Eastwood.
- Originally, the HECU was to feature a special type of soldier nicknamed the Human Sergeant. The character was cut, but his head model was used a generic HECU Marine in the final game.
- The drill instructor player model used in Half-Life: Opposing Force was modeled after the character Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (played by R. Lee Ermey) from the movie Full Metal Jacket.
- Half-Life's Marine models were used as placeholders in the early screenshots of Opposing Force.
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Minor members · Dwight T. Barnes · Sharp · Adrian Shephard|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Weapons||9mm Pistol · Artillery Cannon · Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dynamite · Fragmentation Grenade · Gun Emplacement · Land Mine · Laser Trip Mine · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M-40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mortar · Submachine Gun · Rocket Cannon · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · Shotgun · Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun|
|Transportation||AH-64 Apache · Jet · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M44 cargo truck · Osprey Heliplane|
|Technology||Chargers · Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Transportation · Weapons|
|Other||Hazardous Environment Combat Unit models · Military Police · Robot Grunt · Santego Military Base|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant|
|Weapons (cut)||20mm Cannon|