|This is the talk page for Civil Protection.|
This page is reserved for discussion about the article itself, not for discussions about the subject.
Maybe somebody could add some images of the beta Metrocop. Mega Sean 45 22:01, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
- Do it yourself. They should be over with the Beta articles.
- Who deleted the images? --Mega Sean 45 22:08, 17 March 2009 (UTC)
"Human Traitors" Seriously?
Good day, Wiki. I recently took notice of a improper update by a user "22.214.171.124".
"Civil Protection is essentially the Combine's auxiliary police, making up its ranks from human traitors willing to serve the Combine." How are Citizens that enlist in Civil Protection "traitors"? It is very possible that some Citizens joined Civil Protection for better quality ration parcels and treatment, joined to protect their loved ones (is hinted in the Control radio files), or are loyal to the Combine, having agreed with the Universal Union's ends. I think "traitor" is a improper word and should be removed entirely. One could imagine a Citizen hitting the breaking-point and enlisting in Civil Protection just to get away from the beatings, stop being hungry, and live a better life in general. I also would like to know why "auxiliary police" was added instead of the Thought Police (This game having quite a few concepts from the novel 1984). I believe Thought Police better described Civil Protection. If you have explored the radio files; you will take notice of transmissions such as "loyalty check failure" "All units begin Witness Sterilization" "Sociostability infraction in progress" which all hint that Civil Protection were essentially metroplex stabilization.
I believe the above better described Civil Protection. I wish I could expand my perception on this edit, but I really haven't the time. I'll be back later to see if there is a response. Could somebody revert this? If not; why do you believe it should remain?--Suff 13:23, August 8, 2011 (UTC)
> having agreed with the Universal Union's ends
Such agreement constitutes treason in fact - actively and voluntarily siding with foreign (extraterrestrial) power, levying war not only upon one's nation of citizenship, but against the whole human race (Combine's "ends" included total human genocide by means of "supression field"--126.96.36.199 20:47, August 21, 2011 (UTC)
- For there to be "treason" there would have to be two sides. There are the Citizens, those who live under the Combine's Regime, working in industrial facilities or manufacturing plants to produce items to the Combine's end. It is very possible that some Citizens believed the propaganda, and enlisted in the ranks of the Combine to serve, or enlisted for a higher quality of life, such as increased rations, real-food and cetra. Then there is the Resistance. The Resistance is mostly based in the City's canal's or the outlandish regions, and serves Humanity as a whole. The Resistance isn't known to have a source of food (aside White Forest), and is unable to consume natural fruits or grow vegetables due to the high levels of radiation and chemicals, therefor it is presumed that the Resistance may be worse off than the Citizens. Enlisting in Civil Protection isn't "treason". I believe it is a biased term to include on the article. It's very possible that Citizens also enlisted in Civil Protection to have a heightened quality of life for their family and loved ones, how would that constitute "treason". Personally; I would have most likely enlisted in Civil Protection to serve to the Combine's end. City 17 seems peaceful to me, no children running amock, no noise, just the occasional identification check and attending Workforce. I wouldn't have to worry about bills, the Combine gives me a apartment to stay in, and I wouldn't have to worry about starving to death. I have been homeless for a number of months, therefor that may be an influence on my views. --Suff 14:11, August 24, 2011 (UTC)
> There are the Citizens, those who live under the Combine's Regime, working in industrial facilities or manufacturing plants to produce items to the Combine's end. It is very possible that some Citizens believed the propaganda
To put it bluntly - during WW2 Nazis occupied a number of European countries and well - some of the citizens also believed the propaganda and served nazi overlords. It is practically the same with one major difference - Nazis commenced genocide of Jews and Gipsies, while the Combine have "a final solution" for all Mankind.
> peaceful to me, no children running amock, no noise, just the occasional identification check and attending Workforce
Peaceful is in a graveyard to me. Yeah - but you forgot beatings, arrests, summary executions and the notorious death camp "Nova Prospekt". As for no children - well this means no future for mankind as a whole - perfect "final solution" variant by the Combine.
> I would have most likely enlisted in Civil Protection to serve to the Combine's end
Even if this would mean participating in mass executions of innocents and serving the "end" of eliminating your own species?
--188.8.131.52 20:34, August 25, 2011 (UTC)
Female metrocops are never encountered in the game, but some women also say that they would be ready to join CP for decent meals.
Now, CP voices are unnaturally deep anyways, so do their voices maybe just get modified? Are women only allowed to work for dispatch (as the Overwatch voice)?
Food for theories. Pete (talk) 22:02, 1 January 2015 (GMT)
- It's very likely just a game convention for convenience' sake. All of the Stalkers appear to be male too, although it's clear that females were transformed as well. Marphy (talk) 23:04, 1 January 2015 (GMT)
"Ministry of Civil Protection"
I noticed on some of the images of Half-Life: Alyx in the Combine Imagery page that there's a reference to something called the "Ministry of Civil Protection". What could this mean? Should we change the name of this page to use the more formal title? They really seemed to have expanded some of the Combine Bureaucracy. I've even seen references to a Combine mail service on some of the boxes! Ihonnyboy (talk) 05:21, 30 May 2020 (MSK)
Trenchcoat Metropolice Models
Hey, in the Half-Life 2 Pre-Release section, it shows the trenchcoat metropolice models. As much as I love them, I can only find information implying that the model for this design never ended up being leaked, and the models you find in beta packs are recreations. If this is the case, shouldn't we remove the pictures involving the models? QIncarnate (talk) 00:45, 11 September 2020 (MSK)
- You're right, images including this model recreation should not be used as featured illustrations for Metrocops as a whole. These screenshots originally did not include the model recreation, but they were updated relatively recently to make them more accurate regarding the mapping. I'll temporarily remove them for now. Marphy (talk) 08:46, 11 September 2020 (MSK)