- 1 Disambiguation
- 2 Lists
- 3 My reverts
- 4 Hello there
- 5 Articles I'm Working On
- 6 Re: Comments about your recent edits
- 7 Alien Grunt
- 8 Appearances in Day One
- 9 Perpetual Testing Initiative and canon
- 10 Re:About your Half-Life 2 Beta Leak WC Mappack userpage
- 11 Re: Your email
- 12 File types
- 13 Youtube
- 14 Half-life 2: Survivor articles.
- 15 Hi Marphy
- 16 Audio script for Half-Life
- That is not consistent with the wiki standard for formatting article titles. See Wikipedia:Disambiguation#Naming the disambiguation page. The ambiguous term should be the name of the disambiguation page itself. If there is no main topic article, creating an additional page with the "(disambiguation)" tag is redundant, needlessly inflates the total page count, and puts more stress on the server due to the requirement of an additional redirect. Marphy (talk) 11:40, 27 February 2013 (GMT)
- We always did that to clearly differentiate actual content articles and simple redirects. So when the wiki is fixed, I'll rename it.
Just so you know, I created 2 lists. Brands and food. You suggested we created the latter after telling me that the vending machines didn't belong in the BMRF article, it was indeed a good idea. Klow (talk) 15:09, 3 March 2013 (GMT)
This isn't strictly relevant to the Overwiki, but as a relatively new editor, I just wanted to take the time and introduce myself! I am ThePerson5. Nice to meet you! ThePerson5 (talk) 17:47, 24 April 2013 (BST)
- Greetings, and nice to meet you too. You've done a fine job making constructive edits and your Recurring themes article has come along quite well. Much appreciation for your contributions; it's a pleasure to have you aboard. Marphy (talk) 04:15, 24 April 2013 (BST)
Articles I'm Working On
I restructured the Combine article a bit; I think it is a bit cleaner and better organized now, but you can take a look at it to see what you think.
- The article structure is a definite improvement over the previous version. Good work tidying it up. However, if you're referring to the Cleanup tag, I'm afraid I can't comment on that as I don't know why it was originally added. I don't have time to scrutinize the article itself as I'm working on a number of HL1-related articles at the moment. Nonetheless, at a glance, I'd say this is easily worthy of either Safe or Good status. I'll leave you to be the judge of that. Marphy (talk) 20:16, 25 April 2013 (BST)
I cleaned up the Half-Life 2 storyline article quite a bit, so perhaps you could take a look.
- I just took a look. Once again, your edits have brought a much needed improvement to the page. Thanks for taking on some of these longer articles. Although, I personally believe all of these "Related achievements" sub-sections really clutter up the presentation, but I know you're not responsible for those. Those can be reviewed at another time. Marphy (talk) 04:33, 30 April 2013 (BST)
Hello again, you may be interested to know that I've done some major work on cleaning up the MINERVA article. Perhaps you could take a look.
Hi again, I just have a question about a particular article. I'm planning on cleaning up the Half-Life storyline article, since it seems to be in desperate need of revamping, but I'm not really sure how to even approach it. It seems to be written literally as a fanfic; is this intentional? What work would you recommend I do on it? Cheers, ThePerson5 (talk) 17:53, 7 May 2013 (BST)
- Indeed, somehow that article was written with a completely inappropriate tone. I couldn't tell you why as that must have happened years before my time, but it definitely doesn't belong here. As for advice on how to approach the clean up, you should take a look at this older revision of the article before the odd fan fiction writing took over and salvage as much as you can from it. It's not complete, but it's written in the correct tone. As for everything else, I say gut it and rewrite it from a clean slate. The Half-Life 2 storyline article you've already worked on serves as a fine benchmark as to the quality these storyline articles should try to achieve. Marphy (talk) 19:03, 7 May 2013 (BST)
Hi, me again. I've been working on the Half-Life 2: Episode Two storyline article, and I cleaned up some parts, but it looks fine to me overall. Do you suggest any major changes I could make? ThePerson5 (talk) 04:01, 14 May 2013 (BST)
- You've already done much of the work on the article, but I wouldn't have had any major suggestions. What you're doing is great. Once again, thanks for attending to these storyline articles. I'll give all of them a final sweep to remove that pesky cleanup tag soon. Marphy (talk) 04:55, 18 May 2013 (BST)
Re: Comments about your recent edits
Sorry for not being so often on Steam lately, I'm currently not at home, in another timezone, and that completely destroys communication between us.
For the part of your message regarding the Locations article - okay, I understand your point of view and I'll try to make the article better asap.
For the second part - the Multiplayer template is still in "development" (I left it messed up since my internet access was brutally cut off) so thanks for pointing out things that you find stupid.
I was planning on making a separate article about player models but since redlinks are not allowed and making a stub with literary no content (listing every model in every game would take some time) wouldn't be good, I just left Gina, Colette and the robots.
I was thinking about adding some kind of link to a category/HL:D storyline article that would simply be called "HL:D locations"; aren't the HL2:DM locations already listed in the "maps" section?; listing HL2:S maps would be a good idea (but - if talking about consistency of categorizing - you also didn't create articles regarding them and put them in the old template).
You also said (in the change log) that I shouldn't mix official and fan-made content - I didn't want to make a separate template for a few articles and I thought that adding Synergy, Sven Co-op (which are, I think, notable multiplayer mods), and some other ones will be okay.
Those two categories will be removed - for now - but I'll probably add them again, most likely with modified names and (of course) content, later, when everything will be included. 18 () 15:01, 25 August 2013 (BST)
Don't you think that having the Greek/Latin species name in the first line of Xenian fauna articles would be better than in the BTS section? In my opinion, it gives them an encyclopedic taste and makes the wiki look more professional. And while the overall concept of creatures could change during redesigning, I don't think that such trifle like the species name would matter both before and after changes, because it doesn't affect the gameplay or the plot in any way. It's a fun fact to know, and it's also present in other articles. 18 () 18:57, 18 November 2013 (GMT)
- The OGR preview articles date back to September 1997 and are severely outdated. They pre-date several core concepts of the finished game, including Gordon himself, and make numerous references to things that changed or never made the final cut (the Alien Grunt article, in particular, names "thornets" and "chub-toads"). It is presumptuous to believe these previews still reflect the final product. We should not selectively choose what information we choose to present from a source, especially when we're fully aware that the source in its entirety may be obsolete. Blindly reporting information from old, non-finalized sources is what lead to the 10 years/20 years timespan confusion in HL2's storyline. This mistake would not have occurred had people been more prudent in treating Raising the Bar as outdated behind the scenes information, not an authoritative tome on everything Half-Life.
- As we are the Half-Life wiki, our goal should be to strive for complete and researched reliability. In the case of the OGR Monster of the Week previews, the information is still present in the articles, but they should explicitly be noted as being outdated and placed in the behind the scenes sections as that's what they are. The other monster articles are in need of this change as well. Marphy (talk) 20:31, 18 November 2013 (GMT)
- So why don't we have something like that then?
- "The Alien Grunt, originally identified as Xenotherium myrmex, is a primary combatant of the Nihilanth's Xen army."
- As I said, it makes the article look more professional and imitate a real world creature characteristics. 18 () 20:02, 19 November 2013 (GMT)
- That would be wholly misleading as that wording surreptitiously combines facts and outdated information in a single sentence without identifying what's verifiable and what's obsolete. Similarly, we don't introduce the G-Man as being "originally identified as the Administrator" in his article because we know that's now anachronous. We're aiming to inform the readers, not deceive them.
- We're not trying to make fake "real world" encyclopedia articles. We are a real encyclopedia, and every article should be written in an appropriate encyclopedic fashion. The OGR previews are severely and demonstrably outdated and suitably being treated as such, hence why they're relegated to the behind the scenes sections. Marphy (talk) 14:30, 20 November 2013 (GMT)
Appearances in Day One
Since you're an expert in the canon subject I have a question - is an appearance of a normal item, like an armor vest or a grenade, in Half-Life: Day One canon? The game itself isn't - since the template - but I haven't ever seen any article that in the "List of appearances" sections mentions Day One as a non-canon material. 18 () 08:52, 10 February 2014 (GMT)
- For now, just treat Day One as being canon and also the first appearance for the item. This may change in the future, but it's best to be consistent for the time being. Marphy (talk) 14:13, 10 February 2014 (GMT)
Perpetual Testing Initiative and canon
I am not sure whether Perpetual Testing Initiative is canon... The Multiverse may be but as the article says: "1st Universe, also known as Earth One. It is not in fact the actual Portal universe; This is due to Cave Prime canceling the GLaDOS project in response to Computer!Cave's universe, as well as Greg being his assistant, as opposed to Caroline." It just doesn't fit into the Half-Life and Portal world. What do you think?
BTW, should "Perpetual Testing Initiative" be italicized? PeTI isn't just an editor. 18 () 09:49, 11 February 2014 (GMT)
- As noted on the canon page, you shouldn't be so deeply concerned with "canon" status as this nomenclature is patently false by Valve's own declaration. I would remove all instances of it from the OverWiki, but the damage was already done many years ago and we just have to compensate for the term's proliferation to avoid further confusing an already confused problem. That said, the Perpetual Testing Initiative is an official release set in the Portal universe and consequently also the Half-Life universe. There is absolutely nothing to suggest it should be discredited as being part of the official storyline. Hence, the game should be treated just as any official Half-Life or Portal game would be.
- And yes, PeTI should be italicized as it is the title of the DLC. It is on my list of things to do, but I would certainly welcome your help if you wish to tackle that issue now. Marphy (talk) 18:08, 11 February 2014 (GMT)
- Well, there's a sort of a discrepancy between the storyline according to Portal 2 and that according to PeTI so I thought that we should decide which one is THE one. So I guess I shouldn't mark PeTI non-canon in the "List of appearances" section?
- BTW, I'm also not sure about these topics:
- When to use the "Aperture Science" prefix? I think it would be better to move the majority, if not all, of articles about Portal stuff, except characters' ones, to pages including the prefix in their titles, for consistency.
- When can we resurrect the Featured Article Queue? It's been a while since the last update (not counting the anniversary event) and I don't see any particular reason to have it put on hold. The Combine article could be a candidate for being featured, maybe after adding more information to the BTS section.
- Also - you have my support in removing the Spoiler and Notawalkthrough templates. It should be done asap. 18 () 18:36, 11 February 2014 (GMT)
- I have modified the wording in the PeTI article, but the idea is that the multiverse allows for numerous different universes to coexist. The very point of the multiverse is that there is no "one" universe. They are all correct. However, this fact has little bearing outside of the PeTI DLC itself as the rest of the games are all part of a different, singular universe.
- As for the name of the Aperture Science item articles, go by what they're called or referred to. The joke is that most items are prefixed with "Aperture Science", but this is not true for all of them. For example, unless you can find it called different elsewhere, the Long Fall Boot is never prefixed with Aperture Science.
- I also want to reinstate the Featured Article queue, but we don't have enough articles prepared in advance, and I don't want to use the old Featured Articles as they are all in dire need of a review. Marphy (talk) 21:09, 11 February 2014 (GMT)
Re:About your Half-Life 2 Beta Leak WC Mappack userpage
Oh sorry about that (the link to torrent), i was trying to create a page with information of the maps. I will create again the page without links, greetings. TuningBEB2008 (talk) 19:55, 6 August 2014 (BST)
Re: Your email
Hey, I got your email, but when I replied it didn't get through. I sent an email to the guy at ValveTime who was keeping an eye on the wiki for us, nothing back as of yet. I can't access the configuration myself to disable registration, so just waiting on him I guess. Bramblepath (talk) 08:54, 29 September 2014 (BST)
- Thanks for getting back to me. I did receive the forwarded email you sent to Kris. I hope this matter can be looked into in the very near future as the bots don't appear to be letting up any time soon. Marphy (talk) 11:45, 29 September 2014 (BST)
- User registration has been disabled for now. I'd suggest putting a notice on the homepage. If anyone wants to register an account, then a bureaucrat can do that for them in Special:UserLogin. I added the bureaucrat role to your account so you can keep on top of this. Thanks for getting in touch. Bramblepath (talk) 17:52, 3 October 2014 (BST)
Hello, Marphy. I would like to upload a nihilanth sound file but they're in .WAV format and if you could tell me how to convert them to .ogg that would be helpfull. ARetardedPickle (talk) 00:47, 13 February 2015 (GMT)
- Yes, those are us. Marphy (talk) 04:54, 8 January 2016 (GMT)
Half-life 2: Survivor articles.
- Yes, the subject matters related to Survivor warrant their own articles. This is a fairly large topic that has yet to be appropriately covered, and previous attempts to introduce Survivor content here into existing articles resulted in the Survivor material dwarfing the base content, such as in the Lockdown article. Marphy (talk) 23:12, 29 August 2016 (BST)
I haven't edited this wiki for along time, but i recently discovered that all the sound files i uploaded for the quote pages are now gone, so here's my question: Why did they deleted all the voice sound files for the quote pages?
- The audio files for the quotes were removed from the wiki because they were creating an excessive demand overload on the server, rendering the whole wiki unusable. They may return, but the wiki software isn't designed to handle such a large number of audio files, so an external hosting solution would be the future approach here. Marphy (talk) 11:19, 26 September 2017 (MSK)
Audio script for Half-Life
Would you, please, investigate the Audio script for Half-Life?
2. Run hlsubtls.exe
3. Open subtitles.doc in Notepad
Please check NIHILANTH AUDIO and DESERT (EPILOG).
Thank you for your time and assistance. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168
- Yes, I've seen these, and they've been documented before. You can read an article covering the original epilogue along with some comments on it from Marc Laidlaw himself here: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/never-before-seen-half-life-development-documents.256932/
- This article does gloss over the Nihilanth section, but I am familiar with those, and I plan to cover it on some greater manner in the future and also carry that info here to the wiki. Marphy (talk) 01:00, 28 July 2019 (MSK)