From Combine OverWiki, the original Half-Life wiki and Portal wiki
- The Engineer is equipped with the tools necessary to adapt to changing situations in the field, mostly by cutting through sealed doors or floor grates with his blow torch. To have him using his torch, he has to be led to the target door, although he sometimes starts working without being ordered when close enough to the door. He wears special goggles to protect his eyes from the blow torch's light.
- Like a regular soldier, the Engineer is also capable of fighting with his Desert Eagle.
- Keeping an Engineer alive is very important when only one is available to clear the path, as the mission may fail if the Engineer is killed.
- One should also be careful not to allow the torch fuel tank to sustain damage. If the canister is pierced, it is likely to explode.
- Engineers have been known to light torches using their cigarette.
- The Engineer only directly appears in Opposing Force, where it is first introduced in the training chapter, Boot Camp, during the "Squad Training" exercise. In the other games, is presence is only suggested when a door is cut, the Marines standing behind being only generic models.
 Behind the scenes
- A larger, self-contained version of the blow torch is available to the regular HECU forces when an Engineer is not available. This has the tanks mounted to a handcart, rather than on an Engineer's backpack. This variety only appears in Blue Shift.
- Odell, the engineer of the Borealis cut from Half-Life 2, was also to use a blow torch to unlock doors.
High Definition version.
A Medic heals a wounded Engineer.
The blow torch's first appearance in Half-Life: Uplink.
Blow torch in Half-Life: Blue Shift.
 List of appearances
- Half-Life: Opposing Force (First appearance)
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Minor members · Dwight T. Barnes · Sharp · Adrian Shephard|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Weapons||9mm Pistol · Artillery Cannon · Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dynamite · Fragmentation Grenade · Gun Emplacement · Land Mine · Laser Trip Mine · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M-40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mortar · Submachine Gun · Rocket Cannon · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · Shotgun · Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun|
|Transportation||AH-64 Apache · Jet · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M44 cargo truck · Osprey Heliplane|
|Technology||Chargers · Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Transportation · Weapons|
|Other||List of Hazardous Environment Combat Unit models · Military Police · Robot Grunt · Santego Military Base|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant|
|Weapons (cut)||20mm Cannon|