- "Who needs a locksmith, eh, Shephard?"
The HECU Engineer is an HECU class formally introduced as an ally in Half-Life: Opposing Force. He is trained to cut through sealed doors or gates using his welding torch.
An Engineer using his welding torch to open a sealed door during Shephard's Squad Training at Santego.
- The Engineer is equipped with the tools necessary to adapt to changing situations in the field, mostly by cutting through sealed doors or floor grates with his welding torch. To have him using his torch, he has to be led to the target door, although he sometimes starts working without being ordered when close enough to the door. He wears special goggles to protect his eyes from the welding torch's light.
- Like a regular soldier, the Engineer is also capable of fighting with his Desert Eagle.
- Keeping an Engineer alive is very important when only one is available to clear the path, as the mission may fail if the Engineer is killed.
- One should also be careful not to allow the torch fuel tank to sustain damage. If the canister is pierced, it is likely to explode.
- Engineers have been known to light torches using their cigarette.
- The Engineer only directly appears in Opposing Force, where it is first introduced in the training chapter, Boot Camp, during the "Squad Training" exercise. In the other games, is presence is only suggested when a door is cut, the Marines standing behind being only generic models.
 Behind the scenes
- A larger, self-contained version of the welding torch is available to the regular HECU forces when an Engineer is not available. This has the tanks mounted to a handcart, rather than on an Engineer's backpack. This variety only appears in Blue Shift.
 List of appearances