Santego Military Base
|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
|Santego Military Base|
The Santego Military Base is an United States Marine Corps-operated military base located in Arizona, west of New Mexico, where the Black Mesa Research Facility is located. It appears in the training chapter for Opposing Force, Boot Camp.
There Adrian Shephard receives his Advanced Training from before March 3 to c. March 15, 200-, under Drill Instructors Barnes and Sharp, among others. The base is guarded by the Military Police whose members prevent access to restricted areas, and operates vehicles such as Osprey Heliplanes and M44 cargo trucks.
Santego includes barracks, offices in the Tactical Operations Command, helipads, and the Advanced Training Facility, which includes the following sections:
- Armory, where Powered Combat Vests can be picked up and charged.
- Test Firing Chamber, where the recruit is shown how the PCV protects him from bullets.
- Environmental Hazards Simulation, where the recruit must get through miscellanea hazards such as fire, steam, electricity and radioactive waste, while being protected by his PCV. Its proper name is unsure; there is no sign at the start of the section.
- Nightvision Training, where the recruit is shown how the nightvision goggles work.
- Basic Training, where the recruit must perform basic movements.
- Rope Course, where the recruit must climb ropes.
- Live Fire Range, where the recruit is shot at and must avoid fire.
- Target Range, where the recruit must learn how to use weapons.
- Squad Training, where the recruit must learn to use his assets properly. The Engineer, the Medic and the radio communication are introduced.
During Shephard's training, the G-Man came several times to check on him, around March 3 and March 7.
 Known residents
- Drill Instructors
- Trained HECU Marines
- Recruits, including at least:
- The G-Man (Briefly)
 Behind the scenes
- Three animations to be used by Barnes and Sharp during Shephard's training at the Base were removed from the final game but can still be found in the shared model, "drill.mdl". They include blowing a whistle, shouting in a megaphone, and looking through binoculars.
- In Shephard's dormitory where Boot Camp starts, each trunk can be seen bearing the name of a Gearbox employee, such as Randy Pitchford, Stephen Bahl, Rob Heironimus, David Mertz, John Faulkenbury, etc., mirroring the Easter egg from Half-Life in the locker rooms of the Sector C of Black Mesa, among others.
- "Santego" is a variation of "Santiago", Spanish for "Saint James", "Yago" being an old Spanish form for "Jacob" or "James".
- The room right below Shephard's dormitory exists but can only be accessed by noclipping. Inside can be found an Easter egg, consisting in initials and a date ("DMM 1999"). "DMM" is the signature of Santego Military Base's designer, David M. Mertz; "1999" is the release date for Opposing Force.
 List of appearances
- Half-Life: Opposing Force (First appearance)
|Half-Life: Opposing Force story arc journey||Succeeded by|
Black Mesa desert
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Minor members · Dwight T. Barnes · Sharp · Adrian Shephard|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Weapons||9mm Pistol · Artillery Cannon · Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dynamite · Fragmentation Grenade · Gun Emplacement · Land Mine · Laser Trip Mine · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M-40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mortar · Submachine Gun · Rocket Cannon · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · Shotgun · Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun|
|Transportation||AH-64 Apache · Jet · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M44 cargo truck · Osprey Heliplane|
|Technology||Chargers · Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Transportation · Weapons|
|Other||Hazardous Environment Combat Unit models · Military Police · Robot Grunt · Santego Military Base|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant|
|Weapons (cut)||20mm Cannon|