Not to be confused with Vortigaunt.
|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
Heavy support infantry
Voltigores are large, brown, burly creatures that have four legs and two arms that end in scythe-like claws. On their backs are five vivid purple stripes, followed by a long tail. Behind their tentacled faces are mouths similar to those of a Pit Drone, but with round teeth. They appear to be eyeless as well.
Voltigores can be seen in various locations throughout Black Mesa although they seem to prefer dark, damp environments: As seen in the several disused tunnels located beneath the surface of Sector G, a large population of Voltigores, as well as nests, hatched eggs, and infant Voltigores, can be found.
Behavior and skills
- These aggressive creatures use their innate ability to harness electrical charges to create a devastating ranged energy bolt attack (apparently created by joining three smaller charges coming from their mouths and front claws), bearing some similarity to the Vortigaunt's green energy stream, though the Voltigore's energy attack takes the form of a slow-moving purple projectile, and is much more lethal.
- At close range, they attack viciously with their claws.
- When a Voltigore dies, it tends to fall on the side, after which its carapace quickly explodes, causing massive damage to anything in the vicinity.
Infant Voltigores are much smaller, slower, and weaker, and they cannot use the energy attack commonly used by the adult form. Despite this, they will make valiant efforts to use it, simply producing a harmless purple spark.
They can be identified by their pale pink color and high-pitched, pig-like vocalizations.
While at a great disadvantage in battle thanks to their under-developed bodies, infant Voltigores are just as aggressive as their parents and will not hesitate to attack.
- Adrian Shephard first meets the Voltigore in Sector E's Biodome Complex, where one has overrun a Houndeye Specimen Observation Area, as seen in the Opposing Force chapter Vicarious Reality.
- In the chapter Foxtrot Uniform, Shephard travels through the tunnels beneath the surface of Sector G, where he finds a colony, with eggs and infants. They also populate the surface of Sector G after the defeat of the Black Ops in protecting the area against Race X, aided by Shock Troopers.
- Later in Shephard's journey, during the chapter "The Package", they swarm the surface around Sector E's Ordinance Storage Facility, again aided by Shock Troopers.
- The best weapon to quickly dispatch a Voltigore is the Displacer Cannon. If the weapon is unavailable or too much of a risk to use, the SAW is a good alternative.
List of appearances
|Creatures||Gene Worm · Pit Drone · Pit Worm · Shock Trooper · Sprite · Voltigore|
|Weapons||Shock Roach · Spore Launcher|
|Technology||Teleportation · Transportation · Weapons|