|The contents of this article have been cut.|
The subject matter of this article contains in-development information that was cut from the final version of an official and/or canonical source and appears in no other canonical source. It may also contain incomplete information since not all cut material is publicly known.
The Jalopy is a vehicle cut from Half-Life 2: Episode Two, replaced in the final game by the Muscle Car. Very similar to Half-Life 2’s Scout Car, it was a Mercedes-Benz car of unknown model, stripped-down-and-rebuilt like the final car, but in a lesser condition.
The Jalopy was to be a Resistance car made from recycled materials and various pieces of machinery, giving it a fragile and unreliable appearance, created by two old Resistance members living somewhere in the Outlands. Much like the final car, it was to be found on the bridge at the end of the Victory Mine complex and be used to travel long distances and kill enemies with its armored front bumper. It was also to be able to carry any NPC, not only Alyx like in the final game.
According to David Speyrer, the name "Jalopy" says something about how "uncool" it was. Early feedback was that it seemed too similar in appearance to the Half-Life 2 Scout Car. The team decided to replace it with a yellow Dodge Charger so that players would feel excited rather than disappointed when they saw the car. Alyx's original line when she first sees the Jalopy echoes well the feelings of many early viewers.
While the original Jalopy model is missing from the Episode Two models, the texture sheet is still present in the files, under the name "jalopyTempColor". The files of the final game contain other references to the Jalopy, such as the Muscle Car's entity name also still using the name, as well as the handling script still existing in the game files and usable in-game.
- An armored front bumper.
- Double rear wheels.
- The driver's seat is covered in black leather, the passenger's is a green folding lounge chair
- An 8-ball replaces the stick shift's knob.
- The front left mudguard, blue-colored, features the words "FIRST AID", with a cross beside it, the front right mudguard, beige-colored, features 5 black silhouettes of Zombies crossed out (probably showing the numbers of Zombies killed with that part of the car so far, in the way of fighter aircrafts), the left running board is wooden, while the right one is metallic and blue-colored, again with two crossed out Zombie silhouettes on it.
- In the back, a green tank bears a "DANGER" sticker on top, and a fire extinguisher sticker on the left side, as well as a sticker with the drawing of a black spider with red on its body coming down from its web into four dark purple flowers can also be found on the passenger seat (a probable reference to the spider Anansi, an African folktale character).
- In the back as well, a white fridge covered with magnets and stickers.
The Jalopy attacked by Zombines and a Hunter-Chopper after the Advisor barn.
List of appearances
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two commentary
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two files
- Cut "al_bridge" sound files used on the bridge area, named
al_bridge_cartalk04: What a wreck / We'll be lucky if this thing even makes it to the base / forget about White Forest / we'll be lucky if we make it to the end of the block."
- PC Gamer magazine, August 2006 issue
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two - Gameplay Demo 3 on Combine OverWiki's YouTube channel
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two - Gameplay Demo 4 on Combine OverWiki's YouTube channel
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two - Gameplay Demo 5 on Combine OverWiki's YouTube channel
|Vehicles, vessels and transportation|
|Aperture Science transportation||Borealis · Teleportation|
|Black Mesa transportation||Black Mesa SUV · Black Mesa Transit System · Black Mesa truck · Rail cart · Teleportation|
|Black Ops transportation||AH-64 Apache · M44 cargo truck|
|HECU transportation||AH-64 Apache · Jet · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M44 cargo truck · Osprey Heliplane|
|Combine transportations||Advisor Platform · Armored Personnel Carrier · Hunter-Chopper · Razor Train · Teleportation|
|Resistance transportation||Airboat · Mil Mi-8 · Muscle Car · Scout Car · Teleportation|
|Xen transportation||Alien Craft · Teleportation|
|Trainstations||City 17 Trainstation · Depot · Technical Trainstation|
|Other||Rail transport · Road transport|
|Black Ops (cut)||Osprey Heliplane|
|Combine (cut)||AirEx Truck · C-130 · Combine SWAT Truck · M2A3 Bradley · Merkava · Osprey Heliplane · School Bus|
|Resistance (cut)||Borealis · C-130 · Jalopy · Jet Ski · Osprey Heliplane · Submarine|
|Other (cut)||Digger · Stealth|