M249 Squad Automatic Weapon
From Combine OverWiki, the original Half-Life wiki and Portal wiki
For other uses, see Machine Gun (disambiguation).
- The M249 is a machine gun that offers squad-level support. However, it also has a lot of recoil added to it as well so that the SMG is not made completely obsolete. In addition to decreasing accuracy, the longer the player fires the gun, the M249's recoil knocks the player back a bit as long as the fire key is held down.
- The M249 can first be obtained by taking it from a dead ally in the chapter Friendly Fire. If not picked up there, it can be obtained at the beginning of the chapter Foxtrot Uniform.
- The M249 is very effective against strong foes, such as Shock Troopers and Voltigores. It should not be wasted on enemies that can be easily killed with the SMG, such as Zombies or Pit Drones.
- Headshots will make quick work of even the strongest enemies, so one should try to aim for the head if possible.
- Crouching will make the weapon more accurate, so one should be sure to crouch as often as possible when using it.
- Ammo for this weapon is extremely rare until the end of the chapter Vicarious Reality.
- The M249 has a fairly long reload time, so one should make sure to be safe before reloading.
- Tapping the primary fire button instead of holding it will greatly reduce the recoil. Moving forward removes the recoil but decreases accuracy.
- If sufficient ammunition is available, the M249 can be used to impede falls by shooting downwards while falling. The backwards recoil will constantly push towards the player's back, regardless of direction, resulting in lower downwards momentum.
Behind the scenes
Staged screenshot of Shephard with his M249 being chased by Pit Drones in an early version of the Loader room in Sector C.
List of appearances
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Minor members · Dwight T. Barnes · Sharp · Adrian Shephard|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Weapons||9mm Pistol · Artillery Cannon · Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dynamite · Fragmentation Grenade · Gun Emplacement · Land Mine · Laser Trip Mine · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M-40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mortar · Submachine Gun · Rocket Cannon · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · Shotgun · Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun|
|Transportation||AH-64 Apache · Jet · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M44 cargo truck · Osprey Heliplane|
|Technology||Chargers · Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Transportation · Weapons|
|Other||Hazardous Environment Combat Unit models · Military Police · Robot Grunt · Santego Military Base|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant|
|Weapons (cut)||20mm Cannon|
|The Black Ops|
|Weapons||9mm Pistol · Fragmentation Grenade · Laser Trip Mine · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M-40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mortar · Submachine Gun · Sentry Gun · Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun|
|Transportation||AH-64 Apache · M44 cargo truck|
|Technology||Cloaking field · Transportation · Weapons|
|Weapons (cut)||Crossbow · Flash Grenade|
|Transportation (cut)||Osprey Heliplane|