Party Escort Bot
|Please see the project page for more details about the current article status.|
|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
|Party Escort Bot|
Modified Personality Construct
The Party Escort Bot, also known as the Party Associate, was an Aperture Science Personality Construct partially cut from Portal, but reintroduced in the game for the retconned ending featured in the update made on March 3, 2010, as part of the Portal ARG.
The party associate is first mentioned by GLaDOS after Chell escapes certain death at the end of Test Chamber 19. There she says that they are throwing a party in honor of Chell's tremendous success, and that a party associate will arrive shortly to collect her for her party. GLaDOS then orders Chell to assume the party escort submission position or she will miss the party. As Chell disregards GLaDOS' words, the party associate is never seen at that point. At the very end of the game however, when Chell finds herself on the Enrichment Center parking lot after eventually destroying GLaDOS, the party associate finally comes to pick her up and drags her away inside the facility, thanking her for assuming the party escort submission position, while remaining unseen.
 Behind the scenes
- According to Erik Wolpaw, the party associate mentioned by GLaDOS was originally to be watching over Chell and be partially heard and glimpsed during the second half of Portal, waiting for Chell to assume the party escort submission position. The final payoff would have been that once Chell had finally defeated GLaDOS and collapsed on the parking lot ground, the party escort robot that had been following her would finally drag her back to their "party" inside the facility. Wolpaw states that this would have been a "super happy ending" for the escort robot, but a less happy ending for the player.
- In the update made to Portal on March 3, 2010, named "Added valuable asset retrieval", the original Portal ending was restored. Now, instead of the original direct fadeout, Chell is dragged away by the Party Escort Bot, thanking her for assuming the party escort submission position. This, "re-energizing" Portal, and bridging the gap between it and Portal 2, since Chell awakens back inside Aperture Laboratories in Portal 2. However the presence of the bot in the second half of the game was not restored. Furthermore, around 10 minutes before the Portal March 3, 2010 update, the progress bar and the words "VALUABLE ASSET RETRIEVAL INITIATED" appeared in the BBS, suggesting the BBS itself dispatched the Party Escort Bot.
- According to Valve's Jason Holtman, changing the Portal ending was not decided until a few days before the start of the ARG, and the versatility of the PC platform greatly helped its inclusion.
- The track "Party Escort" in the Portal soundtrack is a reference to the Party Escort Bot.
- Noclipping where Chell is dragged away in the updated "
escape_02.bsp" will reveal at the camera location a cube model used for the game's camera, named "GhostAnim.mdl" and using the texture files of the can of beans found several times in the game (used as a placeholder). Found in the newly added folder "props/camera" in the Portal game files, the model has two animations, "idle" and "move", the latter being used for the movement pattern seen when being dragged away. Shooting a portal on it or anywhere near it will crash the game. It was nicknamed "Bean Cube" during the Portal ARG.
- The bot's line isn't subtitled.
 List of appearances
- Portal (First appearance) (Originally mentioned only, then retconned as a character)
- Portal: Still Alive (Non-canonical appearance) (Mentioned only)
- Portal ARG (Indirectly in the BBS dump, and the retconned Portal ending)
- Portal 2: Lab Rat
- Portal 2 (Game files only)
- Lego Dimensions (Mentioned only) (Non-canonical appearance)