Aperture Science Security Camera
|This article is within the scope of the Portal OverWiki Project, an attempt to improve articles related to Portal, Portal 2 and Lego Dimensions.|
Please see the project page for more details about the current article status.
|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
|Aperture Science Security Camera|
- Placing a linked portal underneath a camera will cause it to be detached, followed by a warning (only in Portal) from GLaDOS, in which she refers to the camera as "testing apparatus."
- The cameras can rotate 360 degrees, and they follow the players' movements within Test Chambers.
- As well as its main video camera, the security camera appears to have a small device attached on the side, which possibly monitors infrared radiation from the body heat of living creatures.
- Not a single security camera is featured in any of the maintenance areas or observation rooms of Aperture Laboratories, and it is therefore unknown how, or even whether, GLaDOS can monitor Chell's movements during her escape in Portal. Her calls through the Announcement System do not strongly connote that she is able to monitor the escapee.
- As seen on ApertureScience.com, the image of the security camera feed is green, despite its lens being red.
- One of the unknown Aperture Science employees in Portal 2: Lab Rat states that the cameras, in fact, contain cameras inside them (although this statement may have been a paranoid delusion of Doug).
- GLaDOS states during the Cooperative Campaign "Did you know we originally used these cameras to capture moments of intense pain and agony in test subjects? If the subject survived the test, we let them purchase the pictures for $5. If the subject died, we gave the photo to their next of kin free of charge. The photos weren't as popular as we had hoped, so we repurposed the cameras." Whether this is truthful or meant to initiate an emotion of fear in the player is unknown.
|Camera Shy (5G)|
|Detach security cameras from the walls.|
|Portal: Still Alive|
|The Camera Adds 10 Pounds (5G)|
|Knock a turret over with a security camera.|
|Asking for Trouble (10G)|
|Taunt GLaDOS in front of a camera in each of the five co-op courses.|
Behind the scenes
As seen in an early Portal screenshot, a security camera model from Counter-Strike: Source was used during development as a placeholder to the final model.
- Several detached security cameras can be found in Rattmann Dens, along with the message "She's watching you."
- In Portal 2, it is possible to see the old security camera model from Portal being used to scan and check the Aperture Science Sentry Turrets (to see whether the turrets are defective or not) in Chapter 5: The Escape.
- Just like GLaDOS herself, the security cameras are reminiscent of HAL 9000, the murderous AI computer of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Test chamber 00's Relaxation Vault seen through a security camera, along with a hacker message, as seen on ApertureScience.com.
Security Camera welded to a Aperture Science Multitasking Arm.
List of appearances
- ApertureScience.com (First appearance)
- Portal: First Slice
- Portal: Still Alive (Non-canonical appearance)
- The Final Hours of Portal 2