|This article is non-canon.|
The subject matter of this article does not take place in the "real" Half-Life and Portal universe and is considered non-canon.
|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
Sven Co-op Team
January 19, 1999 (mod release)
Daniel 'Sven Viking' Fearon
Sven Co-op (usually abbreviated as SC) is a co-operative game originally based around Half-Life. Released initially as a modification on January 19, 1999, it was made available on Steam as a standalone game on January 22, 2016.
In Sven Co-op players must work together against AI-controlled enemies and solve puzzles as a team. The majority of the maps are user-created with the exception of the original maps created by the game's developers.
- Donators have secondary fire that makes crowbar more powerful against hostiles, but drains suit power.
- Pipe Wrench (with ability to repair or revive friendly Sentry Guns)
- Barnacle Grapple
- 9mm Pistol
- .357 Magnum (multiplayer version)
- Desert Eagle
- Shotgun (secondary fire makes the shotgun shoot automatically, but with less accuracy)
- Crossbow (multiplayer version)
- Tau Cannon (with less secondary fire recoil)
- Gluon Gun
- Grenade (secondary fire drops all grenades in one projectile, making "banana bomb")
- Satchel Charge (can be picked up or kicked)
- Laser Trip Mine
- For donators, secondary fire releases a chumtoad that hinders enemy ranged attacks and also poisons NPCs. This only works if the player has at least 10 snarks.
- M-40A1 Sniper Rifle (increased damage, decreased accuracy without scope)
- M249 Squad Automatic Weapon
- Displacer Cannon (Only in the 5.0)
- Medkit - Allows you to heal other players by 10 points and revive non-gibbed ones for 50. Although a player can only carry a max of 100, the points regenerate over time.
- 9mm Uzi - 32 round submachine gun. Can be held in akimbo (duel-wield) for more power but a longer reload time. Donators can use Golden Uzis, which do considerably more damage.
- Submachine Gun - Fires in Full Automatic, secondary fire zooms in.
- 5.56mm M16 w/ M203 grenade launcher - Fires in a 3 round burst. Grenades now have to be individually prepared before firing.
- 5.56mm Minigun - Unlike other weapons, must be picked up off the ground using E, and must be dropped before using another weapon. Fires in full-auto, with a long revving up time. Uses a single 600 round clip, additional ammo is added to the clip through SCXPM Ammo regeneration, picking up other miniguns, etc.
Sven Co-op (as its name suggests) is a game that relies on cooperative effort. This could include simple tactics such as boosting another player to allow access to an otherwise unreachable area, working as a team to defeat enemies or "bosses" (usually used as term to refer to a final enemy/enemies that are tougher or the toughest of the normal enemies), healing teammates, or even reviving fallen teammates. Battles are action-packed, with a variety of enemies, ranging from Hazardous Environment Combat Unit to Xen and Race X creatures.
Although some maps are included with sven co-op, the majority are made by the community. Maps come in all shapes and sizes. Some are very long or in a series (e.g. The escape series where the players are "used as lab rats", and decide to escape), and some can be very short (e.g. sc_subway train where you and the team of players gets to the osprey helicopter). The gameplay ranges from standard walkthrough maps, where players fight their way from point A to point B with little story, to maps where several players fool around in an amusement park-like area. There are also tower defense maps, where players must survive an onslaught of enemies, and even "Maze" maps where players must navigate through large, complex mazes.
Sven Co-op 2, using the Source engine, is cancelled. The developers have stated they will not continue it until they complete the Half-Life version. A statement from the developers states they will continue work on Half-Life for the forseeable future.
- Sven Co-op 5.0 Released! on Sven Co-op Message Forums