Aperture Science Hard Light Bridge
|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
|Hard Light Bridge|
The Aperture Science Hard Light Bridge is a testing element featured in the Aperture Science Enrichment Center. First appearing in Portal: Still Alive's challenge maps, it was introduced proper in Portal 2.
- The Hard Light Bridge is a translucent but solid surface that can be redirected through portals to reach or serve as a blockade to certain areas.
- Bridges may be emitted horizontally or vertically depending on the position of its emitter. Horizontal bridges can be walked upon, and players can continue seamlessly along them through any portals they pass (given enough headroom). Vertical bridges act more as portable walls that can be used as obstacles (for example, to intercept Weighted Storage Cubes).
- In the cooperative campaign of Portal 2, ATLAS and P-body are sent to the Hard Light Bridge Factory in the Hard-Light Surfaces Testing Course. In the factory, it is revealed that the bridges, like the Sentry Turrets, are required to pass a quality monitoring before they can be put into testing. To achieve this, each emitter is attached to a support beam in a lineup, as the quality and strength of the surface is tested against a concrete wall.
- The Mobility Gels are applicable on the bridge, allowing Test Subjects to use the gels in places where it normally would just fall through. ATLAS and P-body must utilize this method to pass one of the chambers of the Mobility Gels Cooperative Testing Course.
|Bridge Over Troubling Water (10G)|
|Complete the first Hard Light Bridge test. Reference to the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel.|
|Bridge Building (15G)|
|Complete all test chambers in the Hard-Light Surfaces co-op course.|
|Portal Conservation Society (20G)|
|Complete Chamber 3 in the Hard-Light Surfaces co-op course using only 5 total portal placements.|
Behind the scenes
- The Hard Light Bridge was officially introduced briefly in a GTTV promotional showcase of Portal 2. At the time, the Hard Light Bridge possessed a texture similar to the one found in Portal: Still Alive. The texture has since changed and was given more detail.
- In Portal: Still Alive, the Hard Light Bridge was simply named as a "blue wall" by the signage found in the game files.
- In Portal 2, the emitters are made in the shape to that of Portal's Material Emancipation Grill emitters, which would further prove that the Hard Light Bridge was based on the testing element in Portal: Still Alive as the emitter was the Emancipation Grill model.
- The Thermal Discouragement Beam is unaffected by Hard Light Bridges.
- According to the screens seen at the start of certain test chambers, the light used to create the bridges are absorbed through vast farm fields, then filtered to create the bridges. The field shown in this video resembles the field Chell is sent to at the end of the game.
- The Hard Light Bridge appears to be opaque to Sentry Turrets. Unlike glass, turrets do not appear to recognize Chell if she stands behind one; however, since the turrets appear to aim with infrared lasers, it could be argued that the light from the bridge interferes with a turret's ability to detect targets (as both are very close on the electromagnetic spectrum, as seen here).
- When standing near the bridge in the single-player campaign, Cara Mia can be heard playing slowly about 30 seconds into the audio file.
Portal: Still Alive
Early Light Bridge with early ATLAS and P-body.
Hard Light Bridge, seen in the Test Chamber 11.
Ditto, in the Test Chamber 17.
Ditto, in the Test Chamber 18.
Ditto, in the Test Chamber 21.
Ditto, near Test Chamber 22.
Hard Light Bridge seen in the Hub.
Hard Light Bridge icon in Perpetual Testing Initiative.
List of appearances
- Portal: Still Alive (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Lego Dimensions (Non-canonical appearance)