Aperture Science Pipe Network
|This article is within the scope of the Portal OverWiki Project, an attempt to improve articles related to Portal, Portal 2 and Lego Dimensions.|
Please see the project page for more details about the current article status.
|The title of this article is unofficial.|
Although this article is based on official information, the actual name of this subject was created for the wiki.
|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
|Aperture Science Pipe Network|
Product distribution network
A vital part of the testing process, it delivers to its destinations the Weighted Storage Cubes, Sentry Turrets, robot components, and Edgeless Safety Cubes into Vital Apparatus Vents, after accelerating through Pneumatic Diversity Vents.
- The tubes use pneumatic pressure to carry various objects around, using a Pneumatic Diversity Vent component of a tube.
- They are an integral part of the Enrichment Center, connecting every Test Chamber and allowing for simple and automated distribution of Weighted Storage Cubes and other objects.
- In Portal, Chell boards a broken pipe during her escape, to be pushed by the air pressure for a long distance before landing in a Vital Apparatus Vent, which collapses under her weight.
- The Pipe Network was bathed by a glowing orange light in Portal. This may be from the numerous incinerators scattered around the facility, such as the Emergency Intelligence Incinerator and amounts of Diversity Furnace.
- In the Developer Commentary for Portal 2, it is revealed that the pipe network was designed in an Aperture Science mindset: A ridiculously complex, inefficient, and expensive solution to a simple transportation problem. It is also revealed that Aperture Science has so much generic test chamber props, such as Storage Cubes and turrets, that they simply do not care about what is transported where.
- An early version of the Portal 2 intro involved Chell being taken around Pipe Network, showing how certain objects and items are sorted and sent to Test Chambers.
Wheatley rolling into the neurotoxin ventilation tubes.
Tubes seen in Calibration Course chapter in the co-operative campaign.
List of appearances
- Portal: First Slice
- Portal: Still Alive (Non-canonical appearance)
- The Final Hours of Portal 2
- Portal Pinball (Non-canonical appearance)
- Lego Dimensions (Non-canonical appearance)