Aperture Science Pneumatic Diversity Vent
|Please see the project page for more details about the current article status.|
|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
|Pneumatic Diversity Vent|
Product distribution system
The Aperture Science Pneumatic Diversity Vent is a suction and directional component for the Tube Network used throughout the Aperture Science Enrichment Center. This component is used as a means of delivering products throughout the facility.
- Created sometime in 1998, the Pneumatic Diversity Vent is the receiving and checkpoint components of a Pipe Network, opposite to that of a Vital Apparatus Vent that only delivers testing elements throughout the facility.
- Although these vents were not introduced in Portal, the pneumatic pressures still existed throughout the Tube Network. This would mean that Chell had always been carried through the Tube Network in Portal with the aid of the Pneumatic Diversity Vents.
- The Pneumatic Vent produces an incredibly strong suction, and therefore are placed throughout the Pipe Network as checkpoints to prevent objects from slowing down during distribution.
- The Passive Monitoring system ensures objects in the vent are identified, but never judged.
- The vents were used again in Portal 2 by Chell and Wheatley when sucked through what used to be a neurotoxin channeling tube, where they are then carried throughout the entire Enrichment Center to the Central AI Chamber.
- Any object sucked by a Pneumatic Diversity Vent can be sent to a Diversity Furnace, the possible nature of the orange glow seen in a Pipe Network throughout Portal.
- "Diversity" is a registered trademark of Aperture Science.
 Behind the scenes
The Pneumatic Diversity Vent was first introduced as a testing element during the Portal ARG, in one of the ASCII art images given by the BBS. Further revealing shows it was originally a testing element in the April 2010 issue of Game Informer, followed by an updated and animated diagram during E3 2010. The Pneumatic Diversity Vent was cut from testing in Portal 2 after playtesters had issues with its use in gameplay, as well as Valve deciding that it didn't have much use other than eliminating turrets.[source?]
The testing element version sucking panels through a portal.
Absorbing the Turrets sent under through a portal.
 Passive Monitoring screens
Passive Monitoring for the cut Hover Turret.
 List of appearances
- Portal (First appearance)
- Portal ARG
- Portal 2
- The Final Hours of Portal 2
- Portal Pinball (Non-canonical appearance)
- Lego Dimensions (Non-canonical appearance)