September 2006 – Present
Richard Lord is an artist working for Valve.
For Portal 2, Lord designed, modeled, and rigged Wheatley before Karen Prell started working on the sphere's animations. Along with Laura Dubuk, he designed the Relaxation Chamber from the game's intro. He also animated the service announcement slideshows seen in chamberlocks, and created the concept of the Animal King.
Lord provided placeholder voice for Wheatley; it can be heard in the "Meet Wheatley" video shown at E3 2010. Due to very positive feedback, Valve considered at some point making the voice official. Later Lord himself emphasized that his voice was temporary, saying that "theres no way you will be disappointed with the final voice - im over teh moon with who it might be." [sic], until it was announced that Stephen Merchant would provide the final voice, much to the dismay of "a small but vocal minority of people who were livid" and wanted the previous actor back. Richard Lord also voiced an early prototype Personality Construct, called the Paranoid Sphere, and both robots of the third Directed Design Experiment.
 Selected gameography
Richard Lord and Stephen Merchant on a Portal 2 post-mortem slide.
- ↑ Karen Prell - Video Games
- ↑ Portal 2 Collector's Edition Guide
- ↑ The NYU Game Center Lecture Series: Erik Wolpaw on Vimeo
- ↑ Portal 2 Gains a Talkative Companion on Wired.com
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Last Outpost of Sanity, Richard Lord's official blog (May 27, 2014) (archived)
- ↑ Feep's post in the Portal 2 E3 gameplay video thread on the NeoGAF forums
- ↑ The Final Hours of Portal 2