Long Jump Module
|Long Jump Module|
The Long Jump Module is a device used by the Black Mesa survey teams to achieve large distance jumps on Xen with their HEV Suit. The multitude of floating islands that exist in Xen mean that the module is necessary to travel through them to explore the area. Without the module, one would fall to his death into the void below when attempting to jump a long distance between two islands.
- The Long Jump Module is first introduced in Half-Life in the Hazard Course and given to Gordon by a scientist at the end of the chapter Lambda Core, in a supply depot for their first Xen survey team.
- It is usable by crouching and jumping in short successions.
- In multiplayer mode, the jump distance is shorter than in singleplayer mode.
- In Opposing Force's CTF mode, a new sound was added to alert other players nearby. The same sound is also used in the ports of Half-Life.
- The Long Jump Module model features the same back texture as the cut Oxygen Tank.
- The model featured in the Half-Life: Day One files is a temporary one, the same as the early Battery model, only with red panes instead of blue.
- No Long Jump Module model is found on dead survey team members found around Xen; this is likely a developer's oversight.
 Behind the scenes
According to an unused HEV Suit sound file ("powermove_overload.wav" in the folder "sound/fvox"), the Long Jump Module was to overload; probably if the player was to use it several times in a row.
In Lambda Core.