Hazardous Environment Suit
|Hazardous Environment Suit|
The Hazardous Environment Suit, also simply known as the HEV Suit, or the Hazard Suit, is a protective suit worn by Gordon Freeman and other members of the Black Mesa Science Team in the Half-Life series.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Behind the scenes
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 List of appearances
- 7 See also
- 8 Associated media
- 9 References
The suit was designed for use in hazardous environment conditions. It provides limited protection from the elements. It also displays vital information on the heads-up display. A computerized female voice speaks from the suit to provide information on the user's status as well as updates on environmental conditions. The suit needs to be recharged periodically; the greater the charge, the more protective power the suit provides. It can be recharged by using wall-mounted chargers or power modules. The suit design appears to be unisex, and it has a Lambda logo on the chest.
In Half-Life, Gordon wears the Mark IV model of the suit. It was designed by Gina Cross. He is required to wear and operate the suit when handling anomalous materials, and is trained and certified in its use in training course. It is also used by the survey teams sent to Xen to collect specimens.
The suit has a high impact reactive armor, atmospheric contaminant sensors, communications interface, vital signs monitoring to display the status of the user, automatic medical systems to administer morphine when the user is wounded, defensive weapon selection system, and munition level monitoring. It also has a built-in flashlight, and a Geiger counter to alert to areas of radioactivity. Additional parts include a helmet and a Long Jump Module.
In Half-Life 2, Gordon wears an upgraded version of his old suit, the Mark V. It was redesigned by Isaac Kleiner for comfort and utility. It isn't explained how Kleiner acquired the suit. New features include vision enhancement provided by a zoom function, and limited sprint function for moving quickly. The suit administers antidote for neurotoxin when the user is attacked by a Poison Headcrab. Unlike its predecessor, it uses auxiliary power source for the flashlight (excluding Episode Two), sprinting, and oxygen supply. It can draw power from the Combine energy outlets. The Combine radio chatter can be heard through the suit. There is also a suit radio used by Alyx Vance to communicate with Gordon.
Behind the scenes
The suit was created by Chuck Jones, inspired by a concept by Harry Teasley. Kathy Levin provided the voice of the suit. They were recorded only once for Half-Life and reused in the subsequent games featuring the suit. Most of the recorded suit sounds are not used in-game. They are present in the game files but were presumably cut due to the lack of an actual purpose within the game. Originally, the suit was called the Power Suit. It had three main functions: protection, notification, and augmentation. Some functions were automatic, and others required power. The player could turn on or off the suit voice.
In an early version of Half-Life 2, Gordon was to wear a leather suit instead of the HEV Suit. Gina Cross is said to have tested a Mark V prototype under the supervision of Richard Keller before the Black Mesa Incident, but it is unknown how this is related, if at all, to the Mark V suit featured in Half-Life 2.
- Valve's company logo can be seen in the back of the original suit.
- There are two missing suits in the Anomalous Materials Laboratory when Gordon arrives. According to Randy Pitchford, these suits belong to Gina and Colette.
- In the chapter Lambda Core, there are three empty suit tubes in the preparation room for the Survey Team. These tubes are actually full, and have suits in them, but they fall through the floor on map load because of a bug. This was fixed in the Source version of the game.
- An HEV Module can be found in Aperture Robot Repair.
- Laser hd.png
Teaser image to promote Steam for Mac.
List of appearances
- Half-Life: Opposing Force
- Half-Life: Blue Shift
- Half-Life: Decay
- Half-Life 2
- Half-Life 2: Episode One
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two
- Half-Life: Day One (First appearance)
- Half-Life: Uplink (Non-canonical appearance)
- Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (Non-canonical appearance)
- Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar
- Half-Life 2: Lost Coast (Non-canonical appearance)
- Additional images related to Hazardous Environment Suit
- List of quotes related to Hazardous Environment Suit