Rocket-Propelled Grenade Launcher (Half-Life)
|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
The Rocket-Propelled Grenade Launcher, abbreviated to RPG, and called GAM14B, is a laser-guided rocket launcher effective at destroying both flying and immobile targets.
The RPG fires a powerful rocket that can either be guided towards a moving target using the integrated laser or unguided without the laser. Despite being found in HECU-controlled areas, this weapon is never seen to be used by HECU soldiers (besides Adrian Shephard). However, rockets for it can be found scattered throughout HECU-controlled areas, such as in the surface areas of Black Mesa, as seen in the chapter Surface Tension.The weapon is first acquired in a supply cache in the cliff portion of Surface Tension. An AH-64 Apache appears soon after, giving Gordon a good opportunity to test its capabilities.
- The RPG is primarily used to destroy heavily-armored vehicles such as the M1A1 Abrams tank, the M2A3 Bradley armored personnel carrier and the AH-64 Apache helicopter. It usually takes about three rockets to the turret to destroy the tanks, while it takes just two rockets to destroy the Apache.
- Use the guided mode to track highly-mobile enemies such as the AH-64 Apache and the unguided mode when confronting immobile enemies such as the M1A1 Abrams and M2A3 Bradley so you can take cover immediately after firing without having to guide the rocket to its target.
- It can also be used to destroy a large group of enemies with ease, as it has a large damage radius from the point of impact. HECU Soldiers, Alien Grunts and Vortigaunts will try to run away from it, but rarely escape in time.
- The RPG is one of the few weapons that can damage a Gargantua.
- The RPG's laser can be used to guide rockets fired from enemy vehicles, an effective method of conserving ammunition for other more powerful targets, and often useful for destroying the vehicle with its own rockets.
- On Xen, the RPG is effective against the Gonarch. It takes only a few rockets for the Gonarch to try to escape to another part of its arena.
Behind the scenes
- The Incendiary Cannon in Team Fortress Classic uses Half-Life's RPG model.
- The RPG resembles the Armbrust ATW rocket launcher.
- The early HUD icon for the RPG can be found in the Half-Life: Day One files.
Early viewmodel, aiming at a Gargantua.
Ditto, aiming at the Human Sergeant.
Early multiplayer characters with early Shotgun and RPG in an early Subtransit map.