|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
The Satchel Charge is an explosive demolition bag featured in Half-Life and its expansions. It is more destructive than the Grenade and can be detonated from afar by a remote-controlled detonator, much like the S.L.A.M.
- Satchel Charges are basically very large grenades, or the equivalent of a C4 charge.
- As they are larger and heavier than hand grenades, they cannot be thrown as far: the result will however be a larger explosion.
- Pressing the primary fire button drops a single Satchel Charge, then the detonator will be automatically equipped. One can then either detonate the Satchel Charge with the primary fire button or drop additional Satchels with the secondary fire button. If multiple Satchels have been dropped, pressing the detonator will detonate all of them.
- Satchel Charges can be found in the Half-Life chapter On A Rail. Later on, they can be found in the Topside Armory in the Topside Motorpool during the chapter Surface Tension, and in a small cache in the chapter Residue Processing, along with the .357 Magnum and Laser Trip Mines.
- At some point in the Topside Motorpool, Freeman is crawling in a duct and a HECU soldier opens a hatch at the end to throw a Satchel Charge in. To survive, Freeman must quickly go back at the end of the duct and dive into the water when flames engulf the whole duct. However, while the latter is the effect intended by the developers, the HECU soldier can be killed before he throws the Satchel Charge.
- The Satchel Charge is rarely found in the game and should be used carefully.
- It is useful for destroying hard points.
- The Satchel Charge is ideal for destroying vehicles such as the Bradley tank.
- It can be used as traps for unsuspecting enemies.
- It can be used to eliminate entire squads of unsuspecting HECU soldiers.
- It can also be used to damage a Gargantua.
- When detonating, one must be at least 7 meters away from the charges to avoid being hurt.
- Using it against enemies such as Headcrabs or Zombies is therefore a waste of ammunition. Simpler and lighter weapons should be used instead.
 List of appearances
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Minor members · Dwight T. Barnes · Sharp · Adrian Shephard|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Weapons||9mm Pistol · Artillery Cannon · Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dynamite · Fragmentation Grenade · Gun Emplacement · Land Mine · Laser Trip Mine · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M-40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mortar · Submachine Gun · Rocket Cannon · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · Shotgun · Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun|
|Transportation||AH-64 Apache · Jet · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M44 cargo truck · Osprey Heliplane|
|Technology||Chargers · Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Transportation · Weapons|
|Other||Hazardous Environment Combat Unit models · Military Police · Robot Grunt · Santego Military Base|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant|
|Weapons (cut)||20mm Cannon|