Laser Trip Mine (Half-Life)
For other uses, see Mine (disambiguation).
|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
|Laser Trip Mine|
These trip mines can be attached to static surfaces, and project a light-blue laser beam acting as a tripwire; they can be thought of as "Laser-Activated Claymore Mines". If the beam is interrupted, the mine detonates in an explosion as powerful as a satchel charge.
To place a trip mine, the player must get close to a surface and aim the crosshair where he or she wants it to be deployed. When a trip mine is placed on the wall, it will give off a three-second long rising sound, signifying that the laser is warming up. Then, if an enemy crosses the beam, the device will explode. Trip mines can also be detonated by shooting them.
A trip mine cannot be placed on a moving surface; doing so will cause the device to drop. It can be picked up again by the player.
The Laser Trip Mine can be used to trick any enemies that will chase the player, for example the highly armored Alien Grunts or the agile Black Ops assassins; they can also be put to a great use in the multiplayer mode of the game. The player can utilize any weapon to clear the mines out, except for the Crowbar or other melee weapons as this will will result in explosion and immediate death. It is recommended to shoot them from safe distance. The player can also choose to avoid the Laser Trip Mines by crawling or jumping over them. It is also possible to jump on the mine itself, without setting it off.
- In Half-Life, Laser Trip Mines can first be seen deployed by the HECU in the chapter "We've Got Hostiles". They cen be then acquired by the player at the end of the chapter Blast Pit, as well as in a small supply cache along with Satchel Charges and the .357 Magnum in Residue Processing. Trip mines are used in a puzzle sequence in the chapter Surface Tension, where Gordon has to go through an old ordinance storage facility filled with explosives. Triggering any of the trip mines results in a huge chain of explosions.
- In Half-Life: Opposing Force the trip mine can first be seen in the chapter Missing in Action, in an office, where it is placed on a door. It is intended to be detonated along with a crate of explosives to allow Shephard to proceed further. The weapon can be acquired by the player at the beginning of the next chapter by leading the HECU Engineer they have just met to the exit door opposite the elevator and allowing him to cut through it. One trip mine can be found in a small security post outside the office complex.
- In Half-Life: Decay, Laser Trip Mines can be seen for the first and only time in the chapter Domestic Violence. They had already been deployed and can't be picked up by the players.
Behind the scenes
List of appearances
- Half-Life: Opposing Force
- Half-Life: Blue Shift (Game files only)
- Half-Life: Decay (Placed only)
- Half-Life: Day One (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance) (Placed only)
- Half-Life: Uplink (Non-canonical appearance)
|Hazardous Environment Combat Unit|
|Characters||Minor members · Dwight T. Barnes · Sharp · Adrian Shephard|
|Classes||HECU Engineer · HECU Medic · HECU Sniper|
|Weapons||9mm Pistol · Artillery Cannon · Combat Knife · Desert Eagle · Dynamite · Fragmentation Grenade · Gun Emplacement · Land Mine · Laser Trip Mine · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M-40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mortar · Submachine Gun · Rocket Cannon · RPG · Satchel Charge · Sentry Gun · Shotgun · Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun|
|Transportation||AH-64 Apache · Jet · M1A1 Abrams · M2A3 Bradley · M44 cargo truck · Osprey Heliplane|
|Technology||Chargers · Powered Combat Vest · Radio · Tactical Map · Transportation · Weapons|
|Other||Hazardous Environment Combat Unit models · Military Police · Robot Grunt · Santego Military Base|
|Classes (cut)||Human Sergeant|
|Weapons (cut)||20mm Cannon|
|The Black Ops|
|Weapons||9mm Pistol · Fragmentation Grenade · Laser Trip Mine · M249 Squad Automatic Weapon · M-40A1 Sniper Rifle · Mortar · Submachine Gun · Sentry Gun · Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun|
|Transportation||AH-64 Apache · M44 cargo truck|
|Technology||Cloaking field · Transportation · Weapons|
|Weapons (cut)||Crossbow · Flash Grenade|
|Transportation (cut)||Osprey Heliplane|