|The contents of this article have been cut.|
The subject matter of this article contains in-development information that was cut from the final version of an official and/or canonical source and appears in no other canonical source. It may also contain incomplete information since not all cut material is publicly known.
Unknown plasma and/or corrosive substance
The Immolator was to function similarly to the human-designed flamethrower, except that its plasma or burning liquid was also to possess corrosive properties, allowing it to completely disintegrate organic matter.
Behind the Scenes
- The Half-Life 2 source code reveals that the Strider's warp cannon was originally a giant Immolator. This is evidenced by the leftover console variable strider_immolate as well as a comment for the Strider's attack that states "let the immolator works its magic". In fact, the Strider didn't use its warp cannon in the WC mappack maps until the 2003 E3 demonstrations "Striders" and "Kleiner's Lab". The building with the archway it used its warp cannon on in "Striders" was only blasted with its pulse minigun in its E3 2002 equivalent, "e3_strider". This suggests that the Strider only received its warp cannon attack from the Combine Guard (Synth) and Combine Guard Gun after they were cut.
- As seen in the playable Half-Life 2 leak, it was at some point possible for the player to assault Striders and take their gun. Noclipping to the Strider's head, then pressing the Use key results in the player seeing through the creature's eyes. At that point the only thing to do to free oneself is to kill the creature, for instance with the RPG (as the only way to kill a Strider in the playable Half-Life 2 leak is by standing inside its head), or reload the game. When killing it, the Strider collapses, releasing the player. At that point, the red ERROR model appears. When walking through it, the player acquires the Immolator. As a side note, the Immolator worldmodel exists and should appear instead of the ERROR model.
- In the playable Half-Life 2 leak, the viewmodel texture incorrectly uses the hands texture. This also happens with the Combine Guard Gun.
- In the Half-Life 2 files, several texture files for HUD weapon icons can be found, most of which still containing the icons for almost all of the cut weapons. The Immolator is among them, however the HUD icon differs a lot from the model design.
- Immolate is a term that means to kill or offer as a sacrifice, especially by burning.
Viewmodel with textures fixed for the mod Missing Information.