|The contents of this article have been cut.|
The subject matter of this article contains in-development information that was cut from the final version of an official and/or canonical source and appears in no other canonical source. It may also contain incomplete information since not all cut material is publicly known.
The MP5K, also known as SMG1, is a weapon cut from Half-Life 2. It can be found in the playable Half-Life 2 leak files.
- The MP5K was apparently set to be Half-Life 2's primary SMG. At some point during the game's development, the MP5K and its replacement, the MP7, existed side-by-side, but in the end it was cut in favor of the MP7.
- By the time the early Half-Life 2 was leaked, the viewmodel for the MP5K had been deleted and replaced with that of the final SMG.
- Based on how the SMG1 behaves in the playable leak, it seems that the MP5K would be more accurate out of the two other SMGs. In addition, it would have a lower rate of fire than the SMG2.
Behind the scenes
The MP5K is inspired by the real-world MP5K by Heckler & Koch.
- In the Half-Life 2 files, several texture files for HUD weapon icons can be found, most of which still containing the icons for almost all of the cut weapons. The MP5K is among them. It is also present in the font "HLHUD.ttf", originally used for all the HUD glyphs but incomplete at the time of the leak. It was replaced by "HalfLife2.ttf" in the final game, but the MP5K icon is not present anymore.
- The food package given by the Combine Dispenser works as a weapon, with an entity, since it technically works as a weapon for the Citizen NPCs. Typing the command
give weapon_citizenpackageinto the console gives the package worlmodel. The HUD icon to appear after spawning is that of the MP5K, with "SMG1" above.