Rocket-Propelled Grenade Launcher (Half-Life)
|Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
The Rocket-Propelled Grenade Launcher, abbreviated to RPG, and called GAM14B, is a laser-guided rocket launcher effective at destroying both flying and immobile targets.
The RPG is a shoulder-mounted portable rocket launcher used by the Hazardous Environment Combat Unit. The RPG includes an integrated targeting laser that can guide rockets once they leave the tube. If this laser is deactivated, rockets will be “dumb-fired” instead, maintaining their straight trajectory. Warheads for the RPG are rare, and are usually found in areas controlled by the HECU, as well as ammo containers in Xen. An RPG can be first acquired in the chapter Surface Tension.
- The RPG is primarily used to destroy heavily-armored vehicles such as the M1A1 Abrams tank, the M2A3 Bradley armored personnel carrier and the AH-64 Apache helicopter. It usually takes about three rockets to the turret to destroy the tanks, while it takes just two rockets to destroy the Apache.
- Use the guided mode to track highly-mobile enemies such as the AH-64 Apache and the unguided mode when confronting immobile enemies such as the M1A1 Abrams and M2A3 Bradley so you can take cover immediately after firing without having to guide the rocket to its target.
- It can also be used to destroy a large group of enemies with ease, as it has a large damage radius from the point of impact. HECU Soldiers, Alien Grunts and Vortigaunts will try to run away from it, but rarely escape in time.
- The RPG is one of the few weapons that can damage a Gargantua.
- The RPG's laser can be used to guide rockets fired from enemy vehicles, an effective method of conserving ammunition for other more powerful targets, and often useful for destroying the vehicle with its own rockets.
- On Xen, the RPG is effective against the Gonarch. It takes only a few rockets for the Gonarch to try to escape to another part of its arena.
Behind the scenes
- The Incendiary Cannon in Team Fortress Classic uses Half-Life's RPG model.
- The early HUD icon for the RPG can be found in the Half-Life: Day One files.
- There is a Triforce present on the HD pack RPG model's textures.
- The RPG was originally in the third weapon slot, as seen in one of the early screenshots.
Early viewmodel, aiming at a Gargantua.
Ditto, aiming at the Human Sergeant.
Early multiplayer characters with early Shotgun and RPG in an early Subtransit map.