Mounted heavy pulse machine gun
|Rate of fire||
Short to medium
The Emplacement Gun, also known as the Mounted Gun, is a mounted pulse gun manufactured by the Combine. It is similar to the Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle, except that it cannot be removed from its mount and does not fire Energy Balls. It also has the same magazine.
- The Emplacement Gun is used by the Overwatch forces to lay down suppressing fire on groups of rebellious Citizens in bunkers, on barricades, and other fortified positions suitable for placing a mounted machine gun. Rebels also use captured Emplacement Guns to protect Resistance bases such as Shorepoint Base or the Vortigaunt Camp from Antlions.
- It is held with two handles. Using it to shoot rapid fire pulses directly into the enemy is a simple but effective method of destroying groups of enemies. However, the lack of rotation and peripheral vision exposes the user to attacks from the sides or behind.
- Due to the apparent lack of trigger, the gun may utilize the butterfly trigger system, in which the weapon is fired by squeezing the handles towards each other.
- The presence of an Emplacement Gun usually hints at many enemies incoming.
- When activated, the three panels protecting the cannon expand, releasing it, and the whole device slightly rises above its mount.
- When used by a friendly NPC, it cannot be used by the player until the NPC walks away.
- The Emplacement Gun includes an inbuilt flashlight, automatically switched on (during nighttime) when the post is manned.
- When idle, the NPC manning the weapon randomly positions itself in left, right, up and down position.
- On the body can be seen the alphanumerics "V952", also featured on other Combine devices.
- It is the Source equivalent of the GoldSrc Tripod-Mounted Heavy Machine Gun, as well as the heavier Artillery Cannon.
The Emplacement Gun appears in the games in the following order:
 Half-Life 2
- It is first seen at Station 1 in the Canals, mounted on a Combine Barricade. There a Metrocop uses it to kill Rebels. Gordon Freeman uses it afterward against Metrocops, City Scanners, and if the player does not proceed, an APC.
- Another Emplacement Gun is used near the APC garage in the Canals, also by a Metrocop.
- When going back inside the APC garage before going back to the Airboat, a Metrocop uses a newly installed Emplacement Gun inside the building.
- At Shorepoint Base, Rebels use two Emplacement Guns to protect the pier from Antlions. Another is placed above the Vortigaunt Camp entrance, for the same purpose.
- Most bunkers on the beaches before Nova Prospekt are equipped with Emplacement Guns, manned by Overwatch Soldiers.
- In the courtyard inside Nova Prospekt, several Emplacement Guns mounted on watchtowers are manned by Nova Prospekt Prison Guards. Inside, one is found in cell block B4.
- Two Emplacement Guns are used by Metrocops during the City 17 uprising, in the tunnel filled by Manhacks preceding the plaza where Alyx is kidnapped. Freeman is then allowed to use it against Manhacks and Overwatch Soldiers.
 Episode One
- In Episode One, the first Emplacement Gun is featured under an Overwatch Sniper nest.
- Right after, when Alyx takes on the Overwatch Sniper Rifle to provide cover for Gordon, an Overwatch Soldier is seen hidden behind metal plates firing at Antlions with another Emplacement Gun. Alyx quickly dispatches him after Gordon removes the metal plates with his Gravity Gun.
- A third Emplacement Gun is found on the large plaza where the Antlion Guard is fought. Alyx uses it to cover Gordon while he blocks the Antlion holes with cars.
- Another, unmanned Emplacement Gun is placed in the Technical Trainstation. It is mostly used by Alyx while Gordon escorts Rebels and Citizens to the platforms.
 Episode Two
During their assault of White Forest, the Combine forces installed an Emplacement Gun in the secondary silo. Freeman quickly uses it to dispatch the remaining forces after closing the silo. This is its only appearance in Episode Two.