The Combine interface, also known as the Combine Mainframe Access Command Module, or simply computer terminal, is the typical Combine computer, made of several monitors and one to several consoles. Notably, these interfaces are featured throughout City 17, Nova Prospekt, the Citadel or any Combine-occupied area. They are used to control many aspects of Combine technology.
- Interfaces found in City 17 are often used to open and close gates or locks, as seen during the uprising. Interfaces can also manage Force Fields along with standard buttons, such as Bridge Point's Force Fields located on the bridge, referred to in this context as "Bridge Access Field". In this case the interface's monitor, blue, shows if the Force Field is active. When deactivated, it blinks from blue to red.
- They may also be used for communication, as seen when Barney Calhoun contacts Isaac Kleiner from the City 17 Trainstation, when Judith Mossman contacts Wallace Breen from Nova Prospekt, or when Breen contacts a Combine Advisor from the Citadel. The conversation partner will typically be displayed on the central monitor (such as Kleiner with Barney) or through larger "holomonitors" (such as Combine Advisors).
- In Nova Prospekt, the majority of command panels found are used to work the systems around the facility – such as gaining access to surveillance cameras or transporting prisoner pods. They are also used to work the teleport that Judith Mossman helped build for the Combine. An interface is also used to operate a camera in the Victory Mine, allowing to spot the Muscle Car at the end of bridge.
- The command panels in the Citadel are only seen conveying Breencasts, while they probably possess other functions as well. While the Gravity Gun has no effect on panels, the Citadel is the only area in which they can be torn from their support when the gun turns into its Dark Energy-powered version.
- Interfaces often control other devices through Combine Power Generators that often need to be disabled by the player to proceed.
- Ordinarily, command panels can only be operated by Combine personnel. However, Alyx can use her EMP Tool to hijack them, like the Combine locks. Barney has a limited Civil Protection clearance, which allows him to operate some, but not all of the panels.
- When an interface is idle, its monitors are blue. In alert mode, they will turn red.
Temporary monitor texture featuring a circuit board and a chart of the human skeletal system.
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Breen's face on an Interface during the Episode One introduction.
An interface in the Citadel after having its screen torn from its support with the Gravity Gun.
An interface being operated by a Stalker.
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
List of appearances
- Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar
- Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (Non-canonical appearance)
- Source Particle Benchmark (Game files only) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Model names
- As seen on the small screens of console models 1 and 3
- Half-Life 2 Prima Guide