|This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.|
A Force Field is a Combine technology that prevents any unregistered persons and creatures from passing through it. It is used prolifically by the Combine to limit Citizen movements and prevent unauthorized access to areas that are considered off-limits. The system does not block inanimate objects in most cases.
- The Force Field typically consists of two pylon-shaped generators, each one on either side of the path it is intended to protect. Visible only at a close distance, the Force Field preventing entry is generated between the two pylons. Force Fields are placed at regular intervals along railway tracks in City 17. They can also be found along the Coast, in the Citadel, in the Outlands, or virtually any Combine-controlled area.
- When an unregistered individual attempts to go through a Force Field, it will emit a humming sound when physical contact is made. It is also worth noting that while the player is merely stopped from moving into a Force Field, going closer will actually cause a discharge to other unauthorized persons, as seen in the Half-Life 2 chapter Entanglement where Alyx Vance attempts futilely to stop Judith Mossman making off with Eli Vance. In fact, being caught inside a Force Field when it is activated will result in instant death.
- Certain Combine security checkpoints in City 17 have Force Fields that allow Citizens with the correct permissions through. Before passing through a Force Field, Citizens are seen showing their left arm to the mounted cameras watching them, hinting they might have some kind of ID on the wrist, although nothing is seen on the models.
- Alyx is able to deactivate a Force Field by short-circuiting a connected Combine lock with her EMP Tool or by hacking into a Combine interface.
- Some of the Force Fields seen in-game are being powered by Combine Power Generators, standard human power supply sockets, or from APC batteries, thus allowing the player to deactivate such Force Fields by disabling their power source.
- The Depot teleport is closed by a Force Field barrier which is activated when a teleportation sequence begins.
- A smaller and completely solid type of Force Field is utilized in Combine Bunkers to protect the soldiers inside while they man the Emplacement Guns.
- The Combine Barricade features a different type of Force Field with a liquid-like appearance that is also solid to all objects.
- Some Combine technology, such as Combine Prisoner Pod sterilizers, is surrounded by non-solid cylindric Force Fields.
Behind the scenes
- As seen in the E3 2003 demo "Barricade" and the Half-Life 2 leak, early Combine Force Fields were orange tinted and refractive in appearance.
- The Aperture Science Material Emancipation Grill from the Portal series reuses the idea of the Force Field, with several differences. It is unknown whether they are canonically related or not.
- In an unused line, Alyx Vance refers to the Force Field as "Combine filter-field".
Force Field blocking the Bridge Point bridge.
Razor Train passing through a force field at Bridge Point.
Force Field during the City 17 uprising.
Rebels imprisoned behind a Force Field in the Overwatch Nexus.
Standard Force Field installed in a Combine Barricade equipped with a Camera. The liquid-like variant can be seen above.
Ditto, surrounding a Combine Energy Ball duct.
Ditto, in a Combine Generator.