This article is within the scope of the Portal OverWiki Project, an attempt to improve articles related to Portal and Portal 2.
|Please see the project page for more details about the current article status.
||Warning! This article contains spoilers.
It might spoil your gaming experience when first playing the related game(s). Read at your own risk!
||Warning! This article has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality, per our Cleanup Project. It may contain factual errors and nonsense, as well as spelling, grammar and structure issues, or simply structure problems. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
Please notice the administrators before removing this template, or you will be blocked.
||This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.
Please upload one or several relevant images (from canonical / official sources) and place it here. Once finished, this notice may be removed.
- "I'm different..."
- ―Oracle Turret
The Oracle Turret, commonly referred to as the Different Turret, is a malfunctioning but a more self-aware Aperture Science Sentry Turret briefly visited then saved by Chell in the single-player campaign of Portal 2.
Once the Turret is saved from the 'redemption' (incineration) line, the achievement 'No Hard Feelings' is acquired.
This Turret made its first appearance during The Courtesy Call chapter, in which it has been seen by Chell and a newly-disengaged Wheatley, laying in a powerless Aperture Science Pipe Network for many years since the Enrichment Center's destruction. The aforementioned tube is layered beside a catwalk leading to a hallway nearing the ruined Central AI Chamber. The Turret, desperate to be saved from the tube, tries to alert Chell for help by asking "Hello?", however Wheatley directs Chell to divert her attention away from the Turret and generally neglecting it. This neglect finally causes the Turret to mention "I'm different..." as the two abandon it. It remains only in silence after this. There is no way to get the turret out of the pipes, even if Chell continues to focus on it.
The Turret, now referred to as the Oracle Turret for its wisdom, is seen for the last time in the chapter The Escape, where it is seen heading towards incineration (referred to as "redemption" by the Announcer) on a conveyor belt consisting of broken Turrets, as seen in the Turret Manufacturing department. When Chell chooses to save it from "redemption", the Turret spouts a variety of cryptic phrases, in a similar vein to the All-Knowing Vortigaunt from Half-Life 2. Some of these phrases reference Cave Johnson's 'Don't Make Lemonade' speech and mentions Johnson's secretary and assistant, Caroline. Once saved, the Oracle Turret cannot accompany the player since the player must pass through an Emancipation Grill before continuing.
A phrase from the Oracle Turret that details the legend of the Greek titan Prometheus, seems to reference several features about both GLaDOS and Aperture Science itself, another reference to the crow and foreshadowing its role. It is possible that the Oracle Turret holds some part of Cave Johnson's personality as evidenced by its quoting Johnson's speeches.
From highest to lowest order, when held:
- "Get mad!"
- "Don't make lemonade!"
- "Prometheus was punished by the gods for giving the gift of knowledge to man. He was cast into the bowels of the Earth and pecked by birds."
- "It won't be enough."
- "The answer is beneath us."
- "Her name is Caroline. Remember that."
- "That's all I can say."
It remains silent after this. However, whenever it is picked up, it will say:
- The Oracle Turret made a cameo appearance in the non-canon video "Aperture Investment Opportunity #3 - Turrets", in which it is described as "desert" in color and uses the "I'm different" voice sample.
- It says "I'm different..." again when seen lying on a turret redemption line.
- It speaks in a higher and slightly more off-tune and breaking voice than regular turrets.
- The names of the turret's sound files begin with "different turret".
- The statement about Prometheus may in fact be a reference to GLaDOS, as she falls into the bowels of Aperture Science, and is later pecked by a bird. GLaDOS also was designed to give knowledge to humanity through the results of the Enrichment Center's tests. It could also reference how Wheatley was given knowledge through power, and subsequently cast both Chell and GLaDOS into the bowels of the facility.
- The phrase "The answer lies beneath us" is likely a reference to the old abandoned Aperture Science Innovators complex contained below the newer Aperture Laboratories and the crucial part that it plays in restoring GLaDOS' "conscience".
- One of the structures at the beginning of The Fall is labeled "Tartaros 09", referring to Tartarus, a place in Greek mythology where another Titan was pecked by birds in a way very similar to Prometheus.
- Replacing the "Master Turret" template with the Oracle Turret through console commands will not have any effect as it will still be placed as the normal Defective Turret. This is impossible, anyway, due to the Emancipation Grill separating the area the Turret is retrieved from, and the template station.
- "It won't be enough" most likely references Doug Rattmann's comment in Portal 2: Lab Rat on the Morality Core not being enough to stop GLaDOS from killing the scientists.
- It could also be a reference to Wheatley's testing addiction when the tests no longer give him the testing euphoria.
|| No Hard Feelings
|| Save a turret from redemption.
|| 10G (B)
|| The Escape
 External links