Sniper (Half-Life 2: Survivor)
For other uses, see Sniper (disambiguation).
|This article is non-canon.|
The subject matter of this article does not take place in the "real" Half-Life and Portal universe and is considered non-canon.
|This article has been cleaned up as part of the Cleanup Project, and has its review pending.|
After review, it will be given a safe, good or featured article status.
The Sniper is one of the five playable characters in the multiplayer game modes of Half-Life 2: Survivor.
In Battle Mode, the Sniper uses various sniper rifles, which offer high accuracy and are effective over long ranges due to the attached scopes with two zoom modes. The Sniper's main weapons are the Sniper Rifle and the Laser Rifle, the former dealing high amount of damage and being lethal on headshots, while the latter offers rapid firing speed and strong knockback. On the downside, the Sniper (and also the Medic) is less protected by the suit than other characters, and therefore should avoid close range encounters. The Sniper Rifle and the Laser Rifle also give away the player's position with their laser sights, but the Sniper's mobility, being the second highest in the game and only lower than that of the Ranger, allows the position to easily be changed.
The Sniper can also be used in the Mission Mode, but does not have any unique weapons or stats, as the mission mode's characters serve only cosmetic purpose.
|Default skin.||Initial equipment.|
| Top part of the helmet removed, eyes equipped
with a single lens (male) or a visor (female).
|Purchasable for 25,000 .|
| Top part of the mask removed, revealing a mark on|
the forehead, eyes are covered (male) or closed (female).
|All headgear completely removed.||Purchasable for 100,000 .|
| Mask removed, revealing the eyes covered by a visor|
and a third eye on the forehead (male) or inhuman
red eyes with scars on the lower face (female).
|Purchasable for 10,000 .|
|Take the first place in the last month's hall of fame.|
|Take the second place in the last month's hall of fame.|
|Take the third place in the last month's hall of fame.|
- The Laser Rifle may sometimes be difficult to kill with due to its low damage and high knockback, but it can effectively be used to push enemies to a distance where their weapons become less effective, making them easier to kill with the Sniper Rifle.
- Deploying a Pulse Shield allows the Sniper Rifle to be reloaded even in relatively open areas.
- To prevent enemies from sneaking up from behind, the Sentry Gun and the Spark Generator can be set up to cover the Sniper's back.
- If the enemy gets near, the odds can be shifted to the Sniper's side by using the Paint Gun. For situations when the enemy is close but does not know the Sniper's position the Silenced Enhanced Pistol is sometimes preferred, as it will not reveal it, while also dealing damage that penetrates the enemy's suit.
Behind the scenes
- The female Combine Sniper's model is based on the Combine Assassin, an enemy cut from Half-Life 2. The male Combine Sniper is based on the Overwatch Elite, who also reuses a helmet that was originally designed for the Combine Assassin.
- It appears that the female Combine sniper was meant to play a more important role during the early stages of development. Multiple weapon viewmodels using the female Combine Sniper's hands can be found in the
hl2mp\models\Weaponsfolder, using the
sniper_fsuffix. There are models for all Half-Life 2's weapons (except for the supercharged Gravity Gun), and also for the S.L.A.M, the early Sniper Rifle and the Stunstick (the one featured in the Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, not the Survivor's Stunstick α). The 9mm Pistol's model shows a last modified date of May 31, 2005, while most other show June 23, making them the first models created for Half-Life 2: Survivor. The SMG's model, however, was modified much later, on February 20, 2006.
List of appearances
- Resistance Sniper on the official Survivor website (archived)
- Resistance Sniper on the Survivor wiki
- Combine Sniper on the official Survivor website (archived)
- Combine Sniper on the Survivor wiki