Sniper Rifle (Half-Life 2: Survivor)
For other uses, see Sniper Rifle (disambiguation).
|This article is non-canon.|
The subject matter of this article does not take place in the "real" Half-Life and Portal universe and is considered non-canon.
|The title of this article was translated for the wiki.|
The name of this subject in the original language, Japanese, is "スナイパーライフル".
|Rate of fire||
The Sniper Rifle, as well as all the other Survivor's sniper rifles, features a scope with two selectable zoom modes (in comparison, the Crossbow's magnification lies somewhere between them). The secondary attack is used to toggle the scope and switch between the zoom modes. When using the scope, a team-colored laser guide is activated to assist with aiming.
The Sniper Rifle is a powerful weapon, which deals a large amount of damage and can be lethal on headshots. It is able to hold two bullets, which can be fired in a quick succession, but will require a reloading after that, and therefore should be used near a cover. It is also limited in its usefulness in close range combat due to its poor accuracy when unscoped.
Behind the scenes
- The Sniper Rifle appears to be based LAR Grizzly Big Boar .50 BMG sniper rifle.
- The Sniper Rifle was initially intended to be a weapon in Half-Life 2 used by the Overwatch Sniper and also obtainable by the player. It was later cut and replaced by the Overwatch Sniper Rifle, usable only by the Overwatch Snipers and Alyx, whereas the Crossbow became the player's long-range scoped weapon.
- It can be found in the playable Half-Life 2 leak, where it has a slightly lower damage (50 points compared to the Survivor's 60), but is still an extremely powerful weapon able to kill a regular Overwatch Soldier with one hit. However, it can hold only a single round, forcing the player to insert a new one after every shot, much like the retail crossbow. It also lacks the laser guide of the Survivor's Sniper Rifle and the Overwatch Sniper Rifle.
- The Sniper Rifle (along with the Overwatch Sniper) is prominently featured in the WC mappack maps starting with "sniper".
- In Half-Life 2 and its episodes, the player can still spawn a box of sniper rounds using the console command "give item_box_srounds". The box texture is different from that of the original model; it is pink, with the word "OBSOL33T" (leetspeak for "obsolete") written in cyan on it. Several unused texture files for HUD weapon icons can also be found in the game files, most of which still containing the icons for almost all of the cut weapons, including the Sniper Rifle.
- Half-Life 2: Survivor's game files include 14 unused weapon viewmodels that use the hands of the Combine female Sniper, among which is also the Sniper Rifle. This model was made during the early stages of the game's development, showing a last modified date of June 23, 2005. Unlike the final version, this one appears to be based directly on the Half-Life 2 leak's sniper rifle.
The Sniper Rifle is one of the only two Survivor's weapons that use unique models for their ammunition, the other one being the Paint Gun. The model, however, appears to be unused, as the only way to recover the ammunition is by picking up the Special Magazine.
Viewmodel, unused female Combine Sniper version.